Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post-Mortem Burials  (Read 494 times)

Ashjete

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Post-Mortem Burials
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »

I found this in The DF Little Questions Thread, but it's leading me to more questions so perhaps (just maybe!) it's worth it's own thread?  Such a judgment call...

How do you get a dwarf to place a dead dwarf in a coffin? The guy died before I had a graveyard or burial receptacle set up.
You need to place the coffin and set it to "Use for burial"

Q-B

When I do this (e.g. set a coffin), eventually the game recognizes the burial, any miasma stops and the coffin becomes marked as:
   This is the resting place of Rovod Muthkattirist Gem Cutter

After the coffin is "filled", over in the corner of my gem shop are several left over bones:
   Rovod Muthkattirist's partial skeleton

I presume there are ethical issues with turning dead dwarf skeletons into trophies.  I'm a new dwarf so I'm not particularly interested in toggling ethics settings at the moment (though I have surfed enough to understand it might be possible to create trophies out of sentient bones) ... it's just way beyond the scope of someone who only finally figured out how to channel water today.  ;)

What I'm more curious about is how leaving the skeleton of a dead dwarf lying around the fortress effects morale.
  • Is there a point to making the coffin if the bones are just going to lie around making everyone sad?  (Does it just cure the miasma?)
  • Can the skeleton be dumped without offending anyone now?
At the rate I'm killing off Gem Cutters, I'll be able to do more decorating with bone than gems.  Saddenz for goryfortress!

Thanks for helping today's newb.

Cheers,
Ash

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: Post-Mortem Burials
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:54:36 pm »

Make sure you arn't accidentally sealing your gem workers in the Jewler.  When you build a workshop, a light green X means a passable tile, and a dark green X means a impassible one.

Ashjete

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:04:01 pm »

Ah HA!  ~light comes on~
Thank you very much.  That perfectly explains not only why the skeleton was lying around, but also the odd mortality rate in the gem cutting community.

Cheers,
Ash

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:08:48 pm »

Make sure you arn't accidentally sealing your gem workers in the Jewler.  When you build a workshop, a light green X means a passable tile, and a dark green X means a impassible one.

Hah, I've done that before.
"Why wont you get food and booze, you starving idiot!  It's right next to you!!!"

The decay of a pet, family member, or a friend can be a huge contributor to unhappiness in a fortress, especially when everyone is familiar with each other.  A proper burial will definitely help that (and of course no miasma).  For pets that I couldn't bury, I had to resort to giving the critter a burial in the lava sea.  That seemed to pacify the "decay of a pet" bad thought in the owner.  I've also been assigning pimped out mausoleums to my soldiers.  Not sure how much they appreciate it, but it does show up in their belongings list.