Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do stones take up stockpile space?  (Read 602 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do stones take up stockpile space?
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:57:42 pm »

I'm making a fortress in a mountain, and I need a warehouse on the inside. So I wonder, do rocks take up stockpile space? And if so, how can you make a warehouse in a mountain?
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do stones take up stockpile space?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:40 pm »

They do.

To dispose of rocks, simply create a garbage dump zone with the i key, then mark the stones for dumping with d-b-d or k-d. This will make the stones stack on the garbage dump, allowing you to create an infinite stone stockpile in a small amount of space. You can reclaim the stone if you need it later, too.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:50 pm »

You can also reclaim all the stones at once by using the similar mass reclaim command (d -> b -> c), or by using the stocks screen if you have a bookkeeper.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:28:50 pm »

Thanks, that's really helpful. Off to haul some rocks!
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:54:15 pm »

Just so's you know, this is called "Quantum Stockpiling".  In case you run across the term on the wiki or in the forums.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »

Just so's you know, this is called "Quantum Stockpiling".  In case you run across the term on the wiki or in the forums.

It's useful for space management but requires alot of micromanaging to use in practical applications like production. I use quantum stockpiling to clear space for other uses but then use normal stone stockpiles near crafting areas to gurantee my dwarves are making Marble Furniture rather than say... i dunno mudstone.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:36:05 pm »

Stones can mess you up if you don't pay attention.  Stones in a furniture stockpile are bad, because they will take up spaced that could be used by furniture.  Stones in a finished goods stockpile are only slightly annoying, because the dwarves will put a bin on the square with the stone on it, then put finished goods in the bin.  The stones are ignorable in this case until you run out of bins and the dwarves try to put one finished good per square, in which case the stones will get in the way.