Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What do I do with all my Lead?  (Read 3040 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do with all my Lead?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 12:01:36 pm »

Turn it all into lead blocks.  Make a stockpile that only takes lead blocks and put it at one end of your fortress.  Any time you see a bunch of idlers, delete it and recreate it on the other side of your fortress, as far away from the first as you can get.  Extra points if you also get them to store all the lead blocks in lead bins.

(If the "daily work affects physical stats" stuff is back in - like how your pump operators used to all become Mighty from working pumps - you will also be building a fort of hulk-like dwarves as well as amusing yourself at their expense.)

I'm the only person that thinks a nice malachite, cinnabar, or kimberlite vein running through rooms is the coolest thing possible aren't I?

If you've ever been into an excavation or a mine where you can see the different rock strata in the walls - I think of it like that.  It's awesomely dwarfly.  I had one fort where my mayor had a cluster of gemstone floor tiles, a partially gold wall and another wall that was partially either hematite or copper I forget.  She always had a thought like "Slept in a bedroom like a personal palace."  So did a bunch of other dwarves because they would always go sleep in her room....  I built my barracks through the same gold vein.  Everyone was super happy all the time.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:09:29 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 01:55:24 pm »

Yeah I dug my bedrooms out of a massive hematite vein, and my nobles all had a vein of gold running through their offices and bedrooms with scattered gems.

Shit like microcline though I just floor/wall over.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 02:09:51 pm »

I'm liking these suggestions but the problem with most of them is that green glass can do the same thing better. Cages, furniture, studding -- you'll train gem setting and cutting, you won't use up a nonrenewable resource, you'll get a prettier color, and you get funny names for everything (terrarium, portal, etc).  Same value, too.

The only one that really seems to make sense is barrels, but I don't want to find out Toady's implemented lead poisoning when suddenly all my dwarves start dying off in the fort I just transposed to the new version.  Plus it just seems wrong.

Lead toys for export does have a certain hilarity.

Bins might be the overall best choice, they're always useful.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 01:24:22 am »

Lead is a superior choice for building/studding only if you already have lead lying around or don't have sand.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:47 am »

I love making lead cage goblin zoos personally.

I have a friend like that who must dig out all the sand walls and replace them with blocks and flooring.
I'm the only person that thinks a nice malachite, cinnabar, or kimberlite vein running through rooms is the coolest thing possible aren't I?

no me too, I always leave my veins in the original design of the room, because nothing says Dwarfy like a vien of platinum running right through your migrant slums. 

"Riches... so close but so far away Q.Q"

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 02:17:36 pm »

I find that lead is good for making nice heavy chains. 

Would be nice if you could make them into bullets for slings that hunters and militia could use. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]