Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no cheese from imported milk  (Read 991 times)

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no cheese from imported milk
« on: December 03, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »

Imported milk is apparently not recognized as milk at all.
When telling the workshop to make cheese from milk, it gives the error of no milk, despite having several barrels of it.  I understand that milking creatures is currently broken, but I figured we could at least use imported milk (something for all my 'cheese maker' immigrants to do).

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: no cheese from imported milk
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

I know what's wrong:
Apparently, milk will only be considered for cheese making if they're enabled to be cooked in the kitchen menu

So you have to press z, and allow your milk to be 'cooked' before you can start making cheese. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour, but it is a serious flaw as the milk could be used in prepared meals, and not be turned into cheese.
[Edit - Yes, milk CAN be used in prepared meals, effectively destroying any chance of obtaining cheese while your kitches are cooking meals.]

[ December 03, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

Yeah, I've made cheese (or maybe it was cooked?) from imported barrels in 33d, so its possible to use them at least.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:53:00 am »

I imported milk and made cheese. Only then, when I still had some barrels, each containing only 1 item of milk, my dwarf cancelled make cheese: needs unrotten milk item. It can be that I turned the cheese off in the kitchen menu, but I don't recall. I figured it had to do with only 1 item left in the barrels. But maybe I'm wrong.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479