Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: um, my 11zlevel tower won't work?  (Read 695 times)

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
um, my 11zlevel tower won't work?
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:18:31 am »

over my main entrace i've made 11z lvl archer tower with fortifications. The last level is one title wider in all directions and an extra 12th level is a floor covering (against flying stuff). My question is, will my dwarves will actually shot something in bottom of tower or i just did a stupid dwarf's trick that looks nice in stone-sense and thats all? If, i think i will remove walls from um.. 3rd lvl, move floor outside and make fortifications, leaving rest on top to look nice...

and i'll pretend to be morrowind dwarf.... without high boots... <sigh>..

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: um, my 11zlevel tower won't work?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:28:42 am »

Remember, height does not increase archer range - on the contrary, it decreases it - there's also the problem that they cannot fire straight down, so a tall tower will also increase their minimum range as well as decreasing the maximum range.
Marksdwarves in 0.31 are also rather bugged in general when it comes to fortifications.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:29:18 am »

As far as I know, height works counter-intuatively for archers, in DF. So each Z-level you go up, it reduces your range by one. An 11 high archer tower would have an effective range of just nine.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:21:40 am »

Are we certain the range reduction is by 1 (orthagonal) & 1.4 (diagonal) per Z?

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:27:15 am »

oh well...it will probably turn out usefull at some point, cous it stands near mountain so i'll always have a way to shoot those goddamn goblins hidding there.

Anyway, i have GREAT embark location. Half mountain, half forest (border in the middle), no aquifers, ALOT of ore for bronze but.. it turns out that the flux stone that was found at location serch indeed is on this map... deep in first cavern..

Oh, another question, i have TOO MUCH rubbish armor/weapon/FOOD (yes, too much food!)/leather clothes (aloot from slayed gobbos)
warning, MESSY stockpille.. wanted to sort it into categories but at this rate i will rather dig another hole.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm going to smelt weapon/armor as soon as i find any magma pipe but leather ones? Is there point to keep them or it's better to atom-smash them? (i've allready prepeared bronze sets for my army 20 dwarves).
And animals... i would butcher half of them (cows dogs cats repeat to infinity >_>) but wit this overflowing river of vege food (plumps strawberries and fisherberries) I find myself short on barrels (and becouse of lying everywhere other minor stuff, on bins as well)...
And becouse of framerate on set 200fps (turning off temp. really works. does those calculations MUST be so complex/resource needing?) i've found myself buried in rope reeds fiber.. LOOT OF ROPE REEDS FIBER (like gazilion).
Cous of same thing, 70 ropes, forget to turn off from Repeat mode...

Oh, and that's me or Dorks are able to fit in barrels only EIGHT FREEKING BERRIES?.
Anyway, how long dwarf can work on on berrie?

PS. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9521-sackcloister
Here is my map for better look

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

Ok, so you have passed the beginner's problems of "I lack resources!" to the intermediate's problems of "I have too much resources!". Many forts face the peril of having way too much junk to deal with, either from over-industrialisation (like me) or from way too many lucrative sieges. There's only so much you can carry to the depot to sell or outright give away. Some players take a page from boatmurdered and periodically flood the plains with magma just to remove the excess rubbish.

For food, cook it all. Make a food stockpile to only accept Prepared Meals and let it take 0 barrels. Then sell all that cooked food to the merchants. It's amazingly profitable.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:14:53 pm »

A bolt that misses its target will often hit some other enemy behind the target---if the enemies are coming straight at your marksdwarf.  Another problem with elevated marksdwarves is that they lose some of that followthrough effect.  If you fire mostly down on a goblin and miss, you hit the ground instead of the goblin behind him.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:35:41 pm »

Are you using bins? If not, do it. Otherwise, have yourself a warehouse mini-project, where you make a 10 z-level tall warehouse, the x- and y-dimensions are up to you.

Or, y'know, just sell it.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:28:02 pm »

Or of course, a magma garbage chute.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ZiggyPox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:39:12 pm »

oh, magma idea is fun.. one problem is that the nearest (and only) magma pipe is at um.. 45lvl.. well, i did used hack to find it so i think i can make some waterwheel reactor to bring it up..

I have also idea to remake my fortress on lower levels, with pretty oppen phillar halls etc. Too bad that dwarves doesn't care if room is one z level high or two..

"UrlistMcLookUp has admired a finely crafted dome recently"

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:44 pm »

Oh, and that's me or Dorks are able to fit in barrels only EIGHT FREEKING BERRIES?.
Anyway, how long dwarf can work on on berrie?

It's 8 meals worth of berries, not 8 berries.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz