Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Water in Winter  (Read 1013 times)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water in Winter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »

Aren't brook tiles just floor tiles? Anyone can walk over them. The true monster-proof design for a reservoir involves pumping out the liquid into your reservoir, and then constructing a floor over the hole that you used to pump liquid in. Nothing can get past a constructed floor and it was the only way for the water to come in. Using the pump means you have dry land to build that construction in the first place, after you've filled the reservoir.

I meant the under-water part -- the rocky tile below the surface. What I've done in my current fort is channel out a hole *next* to the brook, then floor that over, so water's flowing sideways from a brook tile. Can a swimming monster drop down through the brook and through that hole?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Water in Winter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 05:51:41 pm »

I think I know what happened, it is known the moving water can push stuff trough fortification. That explain how that cave crocodile got there, and why he was the only one. (He can't path, but was pushed trough it by random luck)

Would you think the same of a fortification that is 3 z levels underwater and has been submerged under 7 deep water for over a season? Because I have had that trouble. Granted, it was a FB leech, not a crocodile, but still, if that can still be "flowing" enough to push something through, then it is a terrible defence regardless.

I have also had a FB sitting directly under a "water source" grate without smashing it to get at the scared dwarves above.

"flow" or not, I think I know which is the safer option.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]