Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigration in .12  (Read 1295 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigration in .12
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:22:36 am »

Started a new fort on a barren embark. Upon realizing there was no wood or plants I immediately dug down searching for the caverns. I've colonized the first cavern but lost 3 dwarves off the bat to cave crocs and such. I was worried about colonizing an unfriendly cavern with just 4 dwarves left, but amazingly I've gotten 3 immigration waves before the first caravan even. I don't remember immigration happening off the bat like this, is this a new feature? Does .12 look at your population and send reinforcements if you're dying out?
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration in .12
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:30:07 am »

I have no idea what the method is, but I usually get migrants while having fun.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:31:37 am »

What's your fortress wealth?  My guess is you have a "curious structure" on your map that is artificially inflating your wealth.  This also has the unpleasant consequence of producing early ambushes in many cases.

If not...I don't know.  On normal maps I usually don't get a sizable migrant wave until the second year; I might get a trickle of a few dwarves during the summer/autumn, but nothing big until later on.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:14:05 am »

My last fort was pretty typical - by the spring of year two I had about 15 dwarves, then got hit by a migration wave of about 20. I always deconstruct the trade depot under the first dwarf caravan that arrives... it usually has a bunch of good stuff that I need right away, and it's easier than trying to trade for it, but that probably boosts my wealth a ton attracting the huge migrant waves.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:25:13 am »

But I think that also reduces the migrant waves. I believe that the number of migrants has a loose correlation with the profit the dwarf traders turn.

Though I could be talking out of my ass.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:52:21 am »

But I think that also reduces the migrant waves. I believe that the number of migrants has a loose correlation with the profit the dwarf traders turn.

Though I could be talking out of my ass.

This is not really a problem. I am usually up to 50 dwarves by the time I'm 2-3 years into the game, and then I have enough dwarves to get a steel or bronze industry and some metal crafts going. I just try to get a ton of dwarfs quickly so I can start to form a military, and keep a 20~30-strong hauling/furnace-operating/part-time-mechanics crew going to move everything around and build the magma pumpstack and reactors.  Then I can start giving away masterwork gold statues and whatnot to the traders, who will happily ignore all the cargos I stole.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:24:19 am »

Even if I wasn't trading anything but paltry stone baubles (crap), it seemed to me that migrants get attracted by wealth. Wealth is partially determined by the area of your fortress, which relatively skyrockets when you breach a cavern.

I noticed the same behavior between year 1 and year 2, with no trading at all. Migrants during year 1, while establishing temporary hobbit hole fort: 0

Migrants during year 2, after excavation of multiple floors for real fort (but still no trading): 23 or so.

Also seems like once I have the fort expanded I'll get consistent migrant waves of more than 20 until it stabilizes at 130 or so.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:29:11 am »

If migration can be influenced by wealth even when the Mountainhomes have no idea how much wealth you have, then that would explain why every fort I run ends up with a population of 100+ by year 3.  I am, shall we say, industrious.  To the point that I can usually buy out the first caravan easily, and tend to have an overall fortress wealth of over 7 million by year 4.  And I always, without fail, get a wave of 7 migrants late the first spring or early the first summer, then another wave in the fall, another in the next spring, and so on until my population approaches 100.
Sanity is for the weak.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:40:33 am »

Trading does seem to have an impact on how many migrants you get, although I have no idea of the exact mechanic.  Waves 1 and 2, before the first traders come, are almost always 5 or less, but wave 3, after the first dwarven caravan comes, is always huge.  YMMV.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 04:29:28 am »

Immigration is indeed influenced by wealth, both created (which architecture plays into, ie surface area) and exported. I always have a Proficient Stonecrafter going as soon as I get stone, so I typically end up with enough dwarves for a mood by the time the caravan leaves. Exported wealth does seem to have a larger effect, since my population ALWAYS doubles in the spring. At least.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:42:23 am »

In DF2010 it appears to be standard to get a few immigrant waves in the first year, before you've traded anything.  This happens even if your civilization is dead.  It doesn't seem to matter how well your fortress is doing or how many of your dwarves have died.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 08:37:08 am »

Lots of immigrants are standard.  I usually hit forty before summer or fall of the first year.

On the plus side, you can get useful migrants now.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Feral23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 11:37:45 am »

I enjoy dark tower embarks- but if not prepared, they get thirsty- the huge architectural wealth causes massive immigrations, like 20+
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tiles ruined Ascii for me forever... and I played Hack when it was new.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 12:24:24 pm »

...And then sometimes you are insanely rich (20,000,000+ Dwarf Bucks) but aren't getting any migrants.  It's very strange.
Diggy diggy hole.