Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reactor randomly stops  (Read 632 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reactor randomly stops
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »

So I've got a pair of dwarven reactors running two mist machines, but every so often the reactors randomly stop turning. I can't seem to figure out why. What would cause them to stop?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reactor randomly stops
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:33:10 pm »

Do they have an adequate power-supply? If the amount of power generated fluctuates, that may be the problem.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »

Has all their water evaporated?  Any time you have 1/7 water anywhere there's a chance it will evaporate, so most water-reactors have a very slight continual loss rate of water.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:38:56 pm »

Are you overtaxing the power reactors? In a normal two waterwheel reactor I won't use more than one waterwheel's amount of power; every once in a while one of the water wheels won't have enough flow under it and won't produce power for a frame or two, resulting in the whole contraption stopping if you're unlucky. Usually when designing power reactors I only use as much power as 3/4ths of the water wheels can produce, rounded down, just to prevent any issues. This is especially relevant with millstones because millstones will cancel all production jobs on them if unpowered for even a single frame -- even if the water reactor starts up again immediately afterward.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:40:17 pm »

Useful information.  Much more useful than my evaporation answer!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:26:33 pm »

I have just built an oceanside water reactor which destroys water.  I'm baffled as to what's going on - I fill the entire thing manually till all tiles are at 6/7, then start it up.  Very soon all the tiles inside the machine drop to 3/4 and the machine shuts down.  It's way too fast for the water to be evaporating, and there's no massive leak of water pouring out into the surrounding fortress, so I can only assume that the water is somehow being destroyed in the process of being pumped.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:13:21 pm »

@OP, problem is most likely a combination of what previous two posters brought up. Evaporation leading to power dips leading to shutdown.

@#5 Sounds like evaporation. Can be quite fast in hot biomes.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 10:06:10 pm »

Outdoors evaporation in hot climates is vicious.  If you're making water reactors outdoors, you should probably give them a roof.  Or do the proper dwarven thing and build them undergound.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:08:45 pm »

Outdoors evaporation in hot climates is vicious.  If you're making water reactors outdoors, you should probably give them a roof.  Or do the proper dwarven thing and build them undergound.

Under a roof and underground.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »

The reactors for mine, are powering a mist generator, so when the reactor turns off, the water in the mist generator falls, and it's pretty annoying to reset the whole thing. What are my options to solve this issue assuming it's evaporation and one waterwheel not spinning for a frame?

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 11:17:42 pm »

Seeing as you have an unlimited water supply, you can add a pressure plate in the water area somewhere that won't fluctuate in water depth much (you might need to make a buffer area specifically for this). Set the pressure plate to open a floodgate/door when water gets too low (0-5 trigger setting should be ok but you'll need to judge it for yourself) and it will automatically let in some water when needed. Building floors on the Z-level above the area can help if you don't like it triggering more often than needed but not really necessary in unlimited water situations.