Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitchen becomes unusable  (Read 847 times)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kitchen becomes unusable
« on: November 18, 2006, 06:27:00 am »

I had a kitchen where I accidentally stopped production by "rmv cre" the cook's task.  I noticed soon afterward I couldn't get the cook to work in it again no matter what.  There were three empty barrels in it.  

After getting dwarves to remove the empty barrels, the cook started using the kitchen again.

I once had a similar problem with a magma glass furnace that wouldn't begin its tasks.  I wonder if it had empty bags in it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Kitchen becomes unusable
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

If you remove a creature from a building job using that key, it restricts them from using the building for a while -- this stops them from taking the job again.  It could do this based on the job rather than the building, but that wouldn't have solved the problem in your case.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:48:00 pm »

I'm hijacking this thread temporarily because the title fits:

All my dwarves with any semblance of cooking skill died.  Since then I have been unable to staff a kitchen.  Is this likely to be because of the minimum cooking skill required (lowest setting is 'Dabbling') or am I overlooking something?

Disruptive Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.relicnews.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Redd:
<STRONG>I'm hijacking this thread temporarily because the title fits:

All my dwarves with any semblance of cooking skill died.  Since then I have been unable to staff a kitchen.  Is this likely to be because of the minimum cooking skill required (lowest setting is 'Dabbling') or am I overlooking something?</STRONG>

You have to set the cooking labor option under the labor menu in a dwarf's preference screen.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »

I specifically set aside a 'spare' dwarf for the purpose of becoming an emergency cook and removed their other tasks, using the labor options.  They didn't ever attempt to prepare a meal though.  I'd set the job in the kitchen (prepare easy meal [R]) and had food in the fort that was set to be cooked by the overall status/kitchen menu (blue cook).  The kitchen was technically usable by all dwarves, with all white/grey names under the workshop profile.  There also was ample access to the centre of the kitchen.  I can't think of anything else that may have impeded the order.

I just wanted to air my concern that it may have been something to do with rooms having minimal skill requirements as that's the only other variable I can think of off the top of my head.  Maybe I just missed something somewhere tho'...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 09:55:00 pm »

It won't be the minimum skill requirement, since unskilled dwarves do things all the time.  There's the typically laundry list of possible problems, pathing/connectivity issues, profession settings, something else with the workshop setting, availability of food, etc.  You've mentioned most of them.  Is the kitchen accessible?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 11:41:00 pm »

Well, the kitchen was destroyed in a temper-tantrum unfortunately, but it was in an open area, no doors or anything, with a constant flow of traffic.  I'd once previously made the mistake of building an inaccesible kitchen, due to its layout and doorway position within a small room, and consequently have been careful ever since.  I put a new kitchen up as one of the last things I did before quitting last night, and I'll write back if this one doesn't populate during my next session.  BTW - awesome game(s).

Update:  New kitchen is working as expected.  There's a totally unskilled Dwarf in there right now practicing on some plump helmet spawn.   :p

[ November 25, 2006: Message edited by: Redd ]

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

King "Whats tonights dish"
Noob Chef "Burned Spawn"

:)