Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dwarves prefer targeting certain body parts?  (Read 960 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Do dwarves prefer targeting certain body parts?
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:29:37 am »

This has occurred too many times for me to consider it a coincidence. In my previous fort BloodTerror, my unofficial champion dwarf loved to disarm her enemies, literally. About 80% of the time, the limbs she would attack first would be the hands, which probably accounts for how she was able to win so many wars.

My new fort's soldier seems to like aiming for the legs. The first limbs to go on nearly any animal or gob are the legs. I'm seeing a pattern here unfold that looks to be more than a coincidence.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Do dwarves prefer targeting certain body parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:20 am »

Dwarves do have a habit of going for the extremities, yes.  The default targeting preference seems to be weapon arm, then shield arm, then head, then legs, then torso.  Some of it comes down to the weapons being used, of course, but slashing attackers tend to favor those priorities.  Bashers tend to aim for the head and torso the most, and piercing attackers usually aim for the torso almost exclusively.  Wrestlers are all over the place, but I do notice they like to break legs.
Sanity is for the weak.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:22:40 am »

...but I do notice they like to break legs.
It's the only real dwarven way to fight, except for hammers. The more bones you can break without breaking skin, the longer it takes for a goblin in extreme agony to die. Yummy

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:31:10 am »

Monsters too seem to prefer legs,ive got a hospital ward full of legless dwarfs,they always survive getting thier legs ripped off,yet any other wound seems fatal to them.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 10:14:30 am »

I'm currently on a haunted glacier and I'm constantly harassed by blizzard men. I've got no military, armour or weapons so I just go for the basic technique of drafting some miners or woodcutters (yeah, woodcutters on a glacier...).

So these guys with no experience go out, mostly to save some idiot outside, and EVERY SINGLE TIME the first attack results in a blizzard man arm/hand flying around. Picks or axe-wielding dwarfs really aim for the hands/arms first and then work their way up to the juicy brain. Sometimes they go straight for the juicy brain like that one time a miner one-shotted a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:17:30 am »

There seems to be some sort of bug,ive had dwarfs tear forgotten beasts to shredds with picks,while the axe dwarfs hardly did any damage.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:26:09 am »

There seems to be some sort of bug,ive had dwarfs tear forgotten beasts to shredds with picks,while the axe dwarfs hardly did any damage.

I've noticed that too. As a result, I have created an ad campaign for the Miners' Guild. I call it "Miners: we don't fucking mess around."