Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rescued dwarves do not rest or sleep  (Read 1260 times)

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rescued dwarves do not rest or sleep
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:08:00 am »

I'm not totally sure about this, but I did notice that the last two dwarves that got 'rescued' and put on a bed never got to the "rest" status, and eventually became so tired due to lack of sleep that they went insane.

Is this just due to the 'unconscious' state preventing them from activating their 'rest' or 'sleep' jobs?

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rescued dwarves do not rest or sleep
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 10:49:00 am »

I saw this before, I believe it is the case acording to Toady.  It's on his to-do list I believe.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »

I'm absolutely sure that there was a time in one of my games when a rescuer dumped a wounded dwarf under a bed.  The wounded dwarf got more and more tired, and eventually went insane... meanwhile, another dwarf was sleeping in the bed in that same square!
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »

you could try removing the bed... then he'll get chucked elsewhere... might make him rest then...

resting is weird...

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

As I said, I don't think that the wounded dwarf made it to the bed at all.  He was in the square the bed was in, but so was another dwarf!  At first I thought she had some kind of kink that made her want to do the nasty with a war veteran, but after watching them for a few minutes, I came to the conclusion that she was sleeping in the bed and he was lying on the floor.  Either that, or he was trying to sleep and couldn't, therefore flagging the bed as free for her to sleep in.  In either case, moving the bed wouldn't have improved anything.

Besides, there were dozens of other beds in the fortress, including barrack beds that he could have used any time.  And yet he was still tired and sleepless.  I think he was just too hurt to move.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »

I just experienced exactly the same bug.  What's happening is that "sleepy" dwarves will steal beds from "resting" dwarves (unless the bed belongs to the resting dwarf).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 09:57:00 pm »

Yeah, I think there's a probably with the sleep tags.  You might get some double tags in your error log, or the rest job might not be tagging the bed at all.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 10:25:00 pm »

I've had the same problem, with an invalid unresting in a bed and another person coming and sleeping in it.

It was really weird when the dwarf in bed was having a tantrum.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

I've got the same problem: one wounded who seems to be sharing a bed, and one who is unconscious. Neither is 'Rest'ing, both are listed as 'No Job'.

Just another data point.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 02:06:00 am »

I sent a save game with this problem to Toady.  He replied:  "I won't know why the bed isn't being tagged until a dwarf is caught putting someone in a bed."  So if any of you have a save game from just before this happens, it would be helpful.
g+@@T@+

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 06:04:00 am »

I don't, unfortunately. I do have another data point: I removed the bed from under the miner (the one who seemed to be sharing the bed), and he moved (or was moved) to a new bed. Unfortunately, his status hasn't changed. Still not resting.

My unconscious one doesn't seem to have become conscious: certainly he's still 'No Job', rather than resting.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

I think I also annotated that save in my list saying that I could just throw the dwarf on the floor and see what happens, though a ready-made save would be useful.  If there isn't one around I can probably still catch it eventually.

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »

If your injured dwarf can still walk, turn him into a fortress guard. He'll lose the 'No Job' doing his guard duties, and I just had one of the two go to bed and (gasp) actually 'Rest'!

Now to see if the other can do it...

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

I studied it a bit with an old save.  I had a wounded (and drowsy, if that matters) dwarf.   I built a single bed for him; I didn't turn it into a bedroom and I didn't assign it to him.  Someone "recovered wounded" and put the him in it.  

The wounded dwarf rested for about a week, and managed to heal a few light gray wounds.  During this week a few dwarves decided to sleep, and went to sleep on the ground (there being no beds available).

Finally the wounded dwarf flashed "pain" followed by "unconscious" and changed from Rest to No Job.  He recovered soon after (flashing "stunned" as he recovered), but remained on No Job.  The next dwarf that wanted to sleep crawled into the bed.

So I'm thinking Unconscious should never interrupt Rest.  It should also never interrupt Sleep: dwarves that go unconscious frequently will eventually go insane from lack of sleep.

Edit: here's a link to the savefile.  One dwarf is a few paces away from recovering the wounded dwarf; the bed is also nearby.  It might take a few game-days before he goes unconscious and stops Resting.

[ January 17, 2007: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

I wonder why the No Job dwarf remained there...  maybe the wound recoverers thought that the dwarf was already in a bed (technically true) and so didn't renew the job to place the dwarf in another bed.  In any case, yeah, they should hold their claim to the bed through whatever mechanism, so I'll mark that up.

[ January 17, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]