Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pit dumping not going well?  (Read 465 times)

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pit dumping not going well?
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »

In an attempt to raise military morale, I have arranged gladiator matches against gorillas. The upper level of the arena is full of gorilla cages next to a hole, so that civilians may dump the gorillas into the pit.

However, there seems to be a problem with the design. While some gorillas were dumped into the pit, there were plenty of reports of the civilians just opening the cage and letting the gorilla out, only to run away screaming (with some exceptions, like my mason who punched a gorilla in the throat) and leaving my military to clean up the mess. It might have something to do with the way the pit is designated...

It's designated like this, but the screen at the right says the pit is only 16 tiles, so I assume only the channeled tiles count.

There's also the problem of my military not hating gorillas. I miss that handy "Squad will chase down animals" button, it made them into good replacement hunters. Now I have to manually designate them unless they really feel like killing some apes.

Oh well. In any case, help about the pit would be appreciated.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pit dumping not going well?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:34:40 pm »

After you place the zone you can use the zone remove tools to cut away all of the ground tile parts of it. What's left will still be just the one zone regardless of things that don't look attached.

Not sure if this will fix the issue but it's something to try.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:36:10 pm »

I did not know this. Will try and post results.

...Guess this means it's time for my Siamangs to go.

edit: Nope. I used the zone remove tools to change the pit zone so it would only cover the actual pit, yet two out of six siamangs escaped. I suppose I'll have to use mechanisms if I ever want to use this for Goblins, but it's such a hassle...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:48:52 pm by Neopolis »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:36 pm »

Can you see what's happening at all? If so it would be nice if you could make a normal pit and have the cages about five steps from it so we'd know where the breakdown is.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:58:47 pm »

Pretty much every non-tame creature has a chance of escaping when released from a cage, and thieves have a particularly high chance of doing so. Moving creatures into adjacent cages seems to work without any problems, however, so I often just put everyone into a single cage and either release them simultaneously with a lever or just pour magma over it.

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:36:39 pm »

Make only one 1x1 tile pit designation per channeled space. Build de cage in front of the pit you want the creature to be thrown, and release the animal. That always works for me. Have fun!

Your room design looks good, but if you create a large pit designation zone as you did, and then remove the unnecesary zone tiles as you maybe have done, it's not gonna work because it happens that when you order your dwarf to throw the enemy/animal to the pit right next to the cage, your dwarf may decide to throw the animal to the wrong one(because the same pit zone is being used(share) by all the holes) which will result on the animal/enemy escaping most of the time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:46:26 pm by manboricua »
Loving life every second