Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire trap and water.  (Read 611 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire trap and water.
« on: September 05, 2010, 04:49:03 pm »

I have a question before i set my new trap design in motion. Following some hints in the wiki i heard that lignite grate will never stop burning but if i flood it with water, will i be able to extinguish them in some way or is it set on fire and forget everything coming trough it?

Also on another relate question, If the later dont work, i heard multiple place booze make explosion when set on fire? That would be intersting filla  room with booze with some magma near, wait gobbos, BOOM wait for fire to stop and collect?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Fire trap and water.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:53:00 pm »

Not quite, booze explosions don't actually HURT anybody as far as I know, unless this was changed in .31

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:16:05 pm »

The lignite burns hot enough to boil away water before it gets close. If you mess around turning temp on and off you might be able to get water on it then extinguish it but I haven't ever tried. Without changing things in the init file you can drop one of those into the ocean to drain it- probably slow the game to a crawl until most of the water is gone though.

Otherwise you could maybe set up some bridges so that you can drop the burning bin of lignite to lower levels and even prepare a replacement above it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:17:59 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »

Oh well i will simply get all my dwarf inside, seal the fortress and burn the whole map :D
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:45:20 pm »

Oh well i will simply get all my dwarf inside, seal the fortress and burn the whole map :D

[sarcasm]Might as well flood it with magma while your at it.[/sarcasm]
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »

I've experimented pretty extensively with fire and water but not with the specific scenario you're suggesting.
But I would bet against Shoku and say that you can probably extinguish a flammable grate by putting water through it. Shoku seems to be thinking of the "burning object in a bin" maneuver I discovered a while back, but that trick has never worked without putting the burning object in a bin which keeps water from touching the object and extinguishing it.

That said, I'm not aware of any experiments in the latest version to see how it behaves now. So you're just going to have to risk it and tell us all how it went. Post a video.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.