Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perfect tropical world?  (Read 1786 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Perfect tropical world?
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:35:28 pm »

I'm trying to create a tropical world in which everything is warm temperature. How can I do that?
I've set the variance in temperature x and y to 0, and 50 in minimum and max temperature.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect tropical world?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:32 pm »

And what were the results?

Unfortunately, however, I don't think there's a way to actually make more of the world tropical. You'll probably still get mostly temperate areas, albeit relatively warm ones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:49:55 pm »

And what were the results?

Unfortunately, however, I don't think there's a way to actually make more of the world tropical. You'll probably still get mostly temperate areas, albeit relatively warm ones.
Still nothing. Everything's regular.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:05:25 pm »

If you set the temperature as you did, then you shouldn't have temperature variation over the world.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:07:21 pm »

the Poles seem to be hard-coded, 1 hot, 1 cold.

so the 1st thing to do is increase the world map Y dimension to 257, to save gen time, knock the X down a bit, 65 x 257 is only a little bigger than 129 x 129, 33 x 129 bears a similar relationship to 65 x 65.

Increasing the Y dimension gives you more space in between the poles for the temps you want to appear.

Additionally, you might want to go to the Dwarf Fortress File Depository & grab the "PerfectWorld" utility (unless you already have it, maybe as part of the Lazy Newb pack, if you have that) & fiddle with that some.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 01:08:10 am »

True, polar variation in temperature could be applied completely separately from normal variation, for all I know.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 04:52:20 am »

I have genned worlds with [TEMPERATURE:50:50:0:0] or however it's set up in the world gen file, and I got mostly temperate climates. For a tropical feel, I would go with 50:75 or even 75:75 for the temperatures. You will still get an icy pole and a scorching pole, but in between should be mostly warm and hot climates. 
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!