Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doctors wont do Bonesetting?  (Read 1083 times)

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doctors wont do Bonesetting?
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:26:54 pm »

I have been reading the wiki and looking around and I give up, I cant figure out how to get doctors set bones, One of my dwarfs managed to break her hand, and they wont do anything about it,read up on hospitals from the wiki

*  You must have assigned a Chief Medical Dwarf to diagnose patients. Without a diagnosis, patients cannot be treated. If they cannot be treated, they will occupy the hospital area until they die, performing no function. (any dwarf with the Diagnosis labor enabled can diagnose dwarves, but the Chief Medical Dwarf may impact the diagnosis Job creation)
    * Ensure your doctors have their respective healthcare labors enabled through v-p-l in order to handle treatments.
    * Hit the 'i' key, and set up a hospital zone for the area you plan on having your hospital in. Be sure "Hospital" is highlighted.
    * Place enough beds in that zone to ensure you can keep all wounded dwarves in the hospital, plus a few spare that will be occupied by lazy couch-surfers.
    * Build at least four containers (b-h) to store hospital supplies.
    * Build tables (b-t) for surgeons to perform surgery on. You may perform surgery without tables; it will be more messy.
          o Place the tables right next to the beds, or you will get "cancels surgery, patient not resting" spam, as moving the sleeping patient more than one square from the bed to the table wakes up the patient [1]
    * Build one (or more) traction benches to handle compound fractures when the dwarf requires "immobilization."

I have done ALL of that.
She has been diagnosed already as "grasp impaired" "needs setting" "broken Tissue". The only thing I can think of that might be the problem is I dont have soap in my hospital,but I DO have soap in my main stockpile, they just wont put it in the hospital,besides do you even need it for bonesetting?.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doctors wont do Bonesetting?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:30:43 pm »

Do you have any wooden splints?  If not, have your carpenter make some.  Also make sure you have a dwarf with the "Bone Setting" labor active.

If you do, your doctors are just being lazy.  Give them a few days, they'll realize what the screams of pain mean eventually.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 02:35:04 pm »

Do you have any wooden splints?  If not, have your carpenter make some.  Also make sure you have a dwarf with the "Bone Setting" labor active.

If you do, your doctors are just being lazy.  Give them a few days, they'll realize what the screams of pain mean eventually.

hm , I have dozens of splints and its been more then days, its been over a season.
and yes I have Bone Setting active, on several dwarfs.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:38:22 pm »

Alright, remove ALL other labors on your bonesetting dwarf.  Medical tasks have an extremely low priority, he might be getting stuck doing random hauling jobs or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:40:24 pm »

*facepalm* I just saw my problem, I dont have powder for casts. Thanks for your help though! I'll try that if I cant get it to work after I find some powder.

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:50:58 pm »

wow, finding powder is easier said then done. I dont even have the option of making it, does this mean i dont have any gypsum at all?

Argh this is getting fustrating, I have been reading around, and Splints should work if you dont have any gypsum? But they ARENT working  :(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:58:52 pm by Geocat »

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »

You can buy gypsum powder from Dwarf and Human caravans, but you really shouldn't need it.

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:09:00 pm »

reading the forums and It looks like thats true, in that case

So....

How the HECK do you get splints to work? I have dozens of them , plus some in my hospital stockpile.

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 03:46:57 pm »

Argh, ok now i REALLY need to know how splints work, I just had an incident with a forgotten beast that left one dead and several others with broken bones.

*edit*

Well thats odd, The doc came by and fixed up the newly injured AND set their bones, but the the original dwarf, doc still wont boneset her hand, Guess I'll just write off her hand, maybe shes being stubborn or something.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:58:53 pm by Geocat »

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 05:30:39 am »

I'm pretty sure only dwarves who are resting  in a hospital zone get treated at all, so when they decide to just keep working with a smashed hand it never gets fixed.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:14:25 am »

Well thats odd, The doc came by and fixed up the newly injured AND set their bones, but the the original dwarf, doc still wont boneset her hand, Guess I'll just write off her hand, maybe shes being stubborn or something.

maybe try waking her up (mini-cave-in, etc), and seeing if she then demands to rest once more and gets re-diagnosed? Or wait to see once you have plaster powder (you need gypsum, a kiln, and i use 'j' - 'm' - 'q' to add the job, just my preference) if the dwarf gets fixed up...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:26:44 am »

As many improvements to the healthcare system we've seen, it's still not perfect. It could be bugged. Or it could have been a misdiagnosis.
Have you tried re-injuring the dwarf? It's tricky. I have tables and traction benches adjacent to the hospital beds, can't remember if it's required or not.
Or just deconstruct the bed, and see if the injured dwarf gets up and walks off.