Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: remove ramps from above?  (Read 1101 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
remove ramps from above?
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:25:34 pm »

is there any way of doing this, short of building floors or walls over them?  I want to cut off access to an area from creatures beneath.  I cant designate a channel over a ramp, it seems.  and if i order the ramp removed, the dwarf goes to the bottom of it and traps himself down there.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: remove ramps from above?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:40 pm »

I don't believe you can remove it from above, but this might help (I assume it works in DF2010): http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:One-way

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:28:17 pm »

Build floor over the ramp perhaps.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:36:28 am »

Well usually I just dig in from the side and build a wall after. But you can do it with just pure mining and no side access, if the pit isn't too small:

1. Leave a single pillar, standing out away from the edge of the pit.
1a. Oh yeah, also leave a floor (mined out underneath) connecting the edge of the pit to the pillar on the upper level.
2. Remove ramps from the pit EXCEPT one touching the single pillar (but not touching the edge of course :) )
3. Channel out the pillar. Unfortunately this leaves a ramp, but this ramp doesn't go anywhere.
4. Channel out the bit of floor.

Result is one pit made by digging alone, with low risk of abandoned dorfs. Of course, it leaves an unsightly ramp behind, so aesthetically it's not much better than the floor-over method.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:30:04 am »

it cant be solved by stairs, can it?  I wasnt able to remove up-stairs from above, but i didnt try super hard either.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 12:10:48 pm »

An alternative method would be a controlled cave-in, but that would leave some stones on the lowest level.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:28:25 pm »

While there's nothing wrong with doing things the hard way, really, you could just build a floor over the ramped tile, from above.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:14:19 pm »

You could do a cave in without the stones. You just need to clean any stones off of the top of your chunk to cave in and then drop it into a deep pit where it smashes the stone down there.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 06:56:25 pm »

You could do a cave in without the stones. You just need to clean any stones off of the top of your chunk to cave in and then drop it into a deep pit where it smashes the stone down there.
This doesn't happen, the apparent rock smashing is just them being "quantum piled", & the floors being dropped should (I believe) deconstruct into whatever it's made of, unless you drop soil or sand.