Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tamed Gremlins act exactly like dwarves?  (Read 517 times)

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tamed Gremlins act exactly like dwarves?
« on: September 04, 2010, 04:40:48 pm »

In my latest modding craze, I went through the entity file and gave dwarves the ability to use any pets of any kind (evil, good, savage, etc), and embarked with a fair selections of exotic pets, including six gremlins.

The first thing I noticed was that the gremlins (all with adequate ambusher) were hunters, and that they had 'labor' options. I havn't had the chance to try these out yet, but if I enable a gremlin to, say, be a mason, will he use a mason's workshop and gain skills as a mason?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tamed Gremlins act exactly like dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:44:25 pm »

In my latest modding craze, I went through the entity file and gave dwarves the ability to use any pets of any kind (evil, good, savage, etc), and embarked with a fair selections of exotic pets, including six gremlins.

The first thing I noticed was that the gremlins (all with adequate ambusher) were hunters, and that they had 'labor' options. I havn't had the chance to try these out yet, but if I enable a gremlin to, say, be a mason, will he use a mason's workshop and gain skills as a mason?
Weirdly, hunters are the "default" type of gremlins.
Also, the answer is probably 'yes'

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »

Be careful with tame intelligent creatures. I've managed to get them "stuck" during certain labours or jobs in the past. That said, if you have a backup to hand, it might be enlightening if you try them out on a few things.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »

I seem to recall from some experiments I did in 40d that it wasn't possible to make sentient pets such as gremlins do any useful work, other than hunting.  You could enable all the labors you wanted, but other than hunting and maybe some hauling they wouldn't do anything but hang around and eat your food.  You also couldn't assign them any rooms.  I don't know if this has changed in DF2010, I haven't tried yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:24:29 pm »

I seem to recall from some experiments I did in 40d that it wasn't possible to make sentient pets such as gremlins do any useful work, other than hunting.  You could enable all the labors you wanted, but other than hunting and maybe some hauling they wouldn't do anything but hang around and eat your food.  You also couldn't assign them any rooms.  I don't know if this has changed in DF2010, I haven't tried yet.

From my experience with a couple of tame tigermen I bought from the elves in some 0.31.x-Version, this hasnīt changed. Although they had civilian professions, they wouldnīt do any work according to this profession, only hang around with your dwarves.
(unfortunately they died very soon, due to the acid rain, that hadnīt been fixed in this version yet)