Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to deal with deadly dust? (Possible spoiler?)  (Read 1808 times)

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to deal with deadly dust? (Possible spoiler?)
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:56:17 am »

So this great flying lizard with deadly dust is owning everything with it's deadly dust that causes fever and more importantly works like a cave-in, blasting soldiers sky high, at no penalty to itself.

This is a great problem, as my fort is mostly large open caverns and a aboveground castle wall surrounding the main compound and buildings.

Any solution to this sort of enemy?

All my marksdwarves refuse to use their x-bow's even with plenty of quivers and bolts.

Sulphuratum

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitteh!
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with deadly dust? (Possible spoiler?)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:37:19 am »

cave-ins , magma...
many possibilities
Serpentine fried up in olivine oil and limonite juice?  Sounds gneiss.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:40:17 am »

Magma + water

Encase that bastard in obsidian for eternity.

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:14:36 am »

I cannot build anything elaborate, as it is rampaging through the fort.
This limits my options. Guess I can wall it inn somewhere...

No number of dwarves can even touch it, as soon as they get in melee range it just explodes...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:16:15 am by gislegron »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:36:38 am »

Actually, it is injuring itself when it does that. My suggestion? Send cats to fight it, and wait for it to explode to death.

Kitteh: "Mreow?"
FB: "OMIGODITSSOCUTE" *asplode*

After enough dust attacks it should die on it's own.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:40:48 am »

thats why you bring animals for your embark... the red army of wardogs! send them all in and you should(may?) be fine. i think...

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 02:07:55 pm »

Deadly dust beasts are immune to many of the side effects of their dust, but not to the sheer physical force of it. Have it use it's dust while in an enclosed area and with a little luck it'll bash it's brains open against a wall. It's the only solution, I'm afraid.

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »

If its vulnerable to meelee, then shouldnt it be vulnerable to ranged as well?

Just equip your soldiers with crossbows and have them make a pincushion out of the beast.

Dzenaiya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:27:02 pm »

Ranged combat is still broken IIRC; Crossbow dwarves might or might not us their crossbows, with ammo, as crossbows. Usually they use them as clubs, despite there being exactly no reason to.

AFAIK, no known workarounds to make them behave.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 02:34:24 pm »

Quick!  Dig a hole or hallway and trap it in, somehow.  You may need to sacrifice a few dwarfs to get it walled in.  Then, once all is safe and sound, dig a fortification slot into the wall.  Scoop up the dust and put it in bags - there's plenty of folks in California that'll snort anything and will pay big $$$$ for it.  (But probably not the elves since it's "organic.")  You'll never have to make trade crafts again!

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »

Ranged combat is still broken IIRC; Crossbow dwarves might or might not us their crossbows, with ammo, as crossbows. Usually they use them as clubs, despite there being exactly no reason to.

AFAIK, no known workarounds to make them behave.

well, my marksdwarves tend to use their crossbows. Sure, they can't hit the side of the mountain from two steps away as im too much of an Urist McScotsDwarf to manufacture enough bolts for them to train with and they refuse to differentiate between training ammo and live ammo, so when i have them traning, they usually end up using up all available ammo, so i just do not have them training :) most of the time that is, when im not able to watch them actively. :)

Then again, when used in numbers, even dabbling marksdwarves will kill the enemy, especially if you use them from behind a cover, so they can't just run up to the badguy and die if they run out of ammo :) On the plus side, these live fire training sessions also add experience with the crossbow, without wasting any ammo on archery targets :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:02:29 pm by csebal »

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 04:18:27 am »

Deadly dust beasts are immune to many of the side effects of their dust, but not to the sheer physical force of it. Have it use it's dust while in an enclosed area and with a little luck it'll bash it's brains open against a wall. It's the only solution, I'm afraid.

Yes, I have heard about this little detail, BUT this creature apparently blasts itself upwards, and it has wings, so it just flies down again, this might still have cracked it's skull open if my fort was not so extremely open with multiple z level's of celling.

It seem to be completely unable to kill anything, as it just blasts itself and people around, leaving just mangled people with broken bones, sometimes biting a head off.

Did not want to start over again so I cheated and walled it in using DFhack as it roamed around the whole map, never staying in one place and losing interest once a dwarf no longer moved...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:18:19 am »

Yes, I have heard about this little detail, BUT this creature apparently blasts itself upwards, and it has wings, so it just flies down again, this might still have cracked it's skull open if my fort was not so extremely open with multiple z level's of celling.

It seem to be , as it just blasts itself and people around, leaving just mangled people with broken bones, sometimes biting a head off.

Did not want to start over again so I cheated and walled it in using DFhack as it roamed around the whole map, never staying in one place and losing interest once a dwarf no longer moved...
I guess this makes sense. Dwarves don't even use their heads really.