Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Awesome soldiers  (Read 1168 times)

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Awesome soldiers
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:02:29 am »

This is just talking about the best soldier you have ever had.

His name was Aram Noramshem and he was known as....Pwner of everything, he had killed 4 forgotten beasts, 2 trolls, 1 blind cave ogre, 23 tigers, 18 kobolds, 3 humans, 9 goblins, 9 cougers, 14 wolves, 2 dwarves, 13 elves,  3 giant cave spiders and one titan. His adamantine axe was called "Painmeadows" and he was killed by a forgotten beast(he had a broken arm and a bruised brain as well as a heavily damaged lower spine from 2 other forgotten beasts just before) In his  last battle he managed to chop its head, both its legs and its left hand after his throat had been ripped out....now i call that pwning. He had been with my fortress for 9 years and had the best rooms as he had saved his fortress twice from total defeat. Oh and he bled to death after crawling 7 tiles from its corpse....just 10 tiles away from the hospital :'(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:04:49 am by Phreak »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome soldiers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:50:05 am »

My best so far was an immigratn Macedwarf which I gave a spear. He didn't score that many kills, but when a Giant Bat from the caverns flew up to where he was training, he one-hit killed it through the head.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:01:49 am »

A miner who managed to destroy a goblin ambush, dispite the fact that my skilled military and 20+ war animals couldn't even bruise them.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:59 am »

One of my former militia commanders, who had killed over 8 Forgotten Beasts before he died to buggy physics. His death has also led to the collapse of my current fort.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:41:56 am »

Urist McHeadbutting, A wrestler who took down a human siege with both eyes and arms grayed out, and everything else yellow/red.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

RemusShepherd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:25 am »

In 40d my best soldier was named Precise -- a nickname I had given her because of her love of rope reed and its 'precise lines'.

Precise became military commander of my fort after the previous one died in a goblin ambush / drawbridge incident.  She had skills and kills far above every other dwarf in the fort.  When I found happy blue metal, I made sure she had a full suit of it and a shiny blue warhammer.

But Precise had a problem.  She was a perfectionist.

Back then training was easy.  You told your dwarves to spar, and let them go at it.  If any became wounded you let them heal up.  Any wounds of the spine or brain that would't heal marked that dwarf for the crossbow squad, which was less rigorous.  But once I started giving my recruits full steel armor the sparring injuries usually disappeared.

Unless they were sparring with Precise.  During training she killed *seven* other soldiers, all wearing full steel armor.  Most of them were recruits, but one was a legendary speardwarf with great skills.  Each of them were killed with precision blows to the face, with breaks to the noses, jaws, and skull.  No other dwarves were hurt during training -- if Precise didn't kill them, they survived.  It got so bad that I put Precise in her own squad and kept her on duty so she couldn't spar.  She could take on entire sieges by herself, so it worked fine.

I abandoned that fort due to FPS.  I like to think Precise is still out there, demaning perfection from the recruits unlucky enough to be assigned to her.

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:07:09 am »

Not that many kills on my favourite, but her name was "One-Hand" BattleHalls. Her story was one of a typical fantasy variety. Deciding "The Glorious City" needed a bigger military now that we had hit 200 dorfs (oh the FPS Horror!!!), I drafted her into the city guard from a farmer (Newly created, Justice hurts productivity when my best are caged and the morons roam free).

She trained for just a month in the ways of the spear when my first major siege took place, 40+ gobbo's riding giant rats with 2 squads of trolls as backup. I had 2 sqauds at the time, so I set the "Badasses" (So named for their ability to literally explode titans) as front line with the guard by my main stairs for backup. After an hour of warfare, the Badasses were down to 7 with 4 laying in hospital, and my guard were all but destroyed. OH bieng on her own held the line against the last squad of rat-riding goblins, wiped them out and then went hunting for the discarded mounts. As she did this, a new titan appeared (Mountain. Bog standard at this point) So off she charged. First page of combat saw her left hand be ripped clean off, before she thrust her spear, impaling the titan in the same hand that held hers, before then dodging a blow and impaling its head straight through the eye socket.

She remained my Captain of the Guard and was actually the toughest dwarf in my fort. She only fell when faced with a horde of clowns, all 3 squads of my then strengthened military were bloodied or dead. She actually held the passage in some kind of balls-out awesome last stand that allowed my masons to floor off the mines. How did she die?

Thirst of course, not some pussy clowns.

Thankfully her son carried on her tradition several years later :)
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:22:52 am »

The mason who tore a forgotten beasts head off with no prior military training.

He was cornered in one of the mineshafts, when he broke the beasts leg. The military was still miles away, and he was getting hit a bit (Only bruises, though), but then, just as the military were closing in, he tore it's head off and instantly killed it.

I drafted him, trained him up to a legendary axelord, and then later on he died after fighting like 11 clowns in a narrow hallway with the rest of his squadmates dead around him.

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:26:50 am »

A Champion Wrestler that died to a Snatcher has been the best my forts have seen so far.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:49:10 pm »

I had been getting way too many migrants so i started releasing them into the caverns to explore then starve to death/die to wildlife.

I sent 8 down(no equipment other than clothes), and they were ganging up on a forgotten beast and actually no losing, however another forgotten beast spawned and that one suddenly healed all it's wounds in seconds for i have no clue what reason.

Anyway, 6 dead in the blink of an eye, one loses a foot and lays where she lands until she starves, one loses a hand, bleeds everywhere, then suddenly stops. So, since that one was ok, i had her keep exploring the caverns. Anyway, just finishing exploring, she's starving and dehydrated, and 4 troglodytes jump her. I pretty much wrote her off there, however instead of being torn to shreds like any other random migrant outnumbered and unequipped(and one handed) she beats all four to death with one hand(which was horrifically mangled by the time she was done, the doctors never could properly fix it)

Was pretty crazy. The history after that was pretty anticlimatic, was mostly my fault more than hers though. A GCS kept grabbing her by the cheek and left lower arm(because she couldn't equip a gauntlet) until she bled to death.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

surturhero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:25:36 am »

Urist McSadistic.

Has never outright killed anything, but instead chooses to chop off a limb or leave a weapon in the goblin and watch it bleed out. Has done this to two goblin squads and several snatchers. At one point i'm pretty sure she made a goblin hammerer run when he saw all his squadmates minus the majority of their limbs crawling away from her as she stood there laughing as they bled out. Not to mention she slaughtered her son in training, the first sparing session took off his arm/foot, and just waited(even when I demilitarized her and tried to get her to carry him to the hospital) till he finally passed on.
Sometimes you scare me Urist.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:28:02 pm »

Urist McSadistic.

Has never outright killed anything, but instead chooses to chop off a limb or leave a weapon in the goblin and watch it bleed out. Has done this to two goblin squads and several snatchers. At one point i'm pretty sure she made a goblin hammerer run when he saw all his squadmates minus the majority of their limbs crawling away from her as she stood there laughing as they bled out. Not to mention she slaughtered her son in training, the first sparing session took off his arm/foot, and just waited(even when I demilitarized her and tried to get her to carry him to the hospital) till he finally passed on.
Sometimes you scare me Urist.

You sure you haven't modified the Dorf ethics?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

Not really epic, but most memorial. I forgot his first name, but he got the title Lone Wolf after he fended off a goblin ambush alone. He bled to death. No pussy goblins. He was wearing iron armor with an iron sword and shield. He was buried in the hall of legends. This was in 40d, when iron was pretty much all you needed.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:20:53 pm »

In one fort, I had a pair of legendary axedwarves who could kill pretty much anything that came at them, including FB's.  And that was BEFORE I equipped them with the finest adamantine gear my smiths could forge.  They finally died when I got bored and breached HFS to test their might.  I forgot how many clowns they took down, but the swarm just annihilated them eventually.

In my current fort, I have a Spearmaster that is shaping up to be super-badass.  He has a masterwork steel Spear that he regularly stabs clean through goblins, elves, humans, organic FB's, etc..  I'm sure I'd have a Swordmaster that was just as awesome if I could just get my recruits to stop becoming attached to their weapon before they become a Hero- I have an artifact steel shortsword that's doing nothing but making my armory worth more than the solid gold walls that enclose the entrance to my little valley.

Also, my favorite soldier was from my very first DF2010 fort.  His name was Dakost Bearclasps the Standard of Journey.  He was the rock upon which I built my fortress.  His axe cut through every threat to my fortress- goblin ambushes, FB's, berserk legendary miners, etc.  Every single time my fortress fell to the crisis point, his bloody axe carved a path to survival.  Finally, a goblin siege arrived during a tantrum spiral.  Dakost and the rest of the military held them back for as long as they could, but eventually a combination of berserk legendary miners and sheer goblin numbers overwhelmed them.  Dakost was the last to fall, surrounded by the decapitated corpses of many of his foes.  If only someone had survived to bury him in the epic tomb I made for him...
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 07:29:03 pm »

Once, I locked my Baron and Baroness into an underground dungeon while I made a device to cripple them into unconsciousness - unconscious dwarves don't make mandates but preclude other nobles of that kind from arriving. While they were in the dungeon, they had a stack of some cave syrup roasts and a well to make sure they didn't starve in the meantime.

All of a sudden, a giant olm came up through the well. My plumbing was connected to the underground river (this was in 40d) and despite the maze of fortifications that supposedly shielded my drinking sources from the monsters, the latter would from time to time rise up from the depths and savage a few unlucky passersby, like in the old 2d version.

Also, because I liked Fun, my olms were size 20, the same size as elephants and certain kinds of giants.

The olm proceeded to tear the two nobles limb from limb, earning itself a name, and then sat down on the pile of leftover clothes. I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to add to the kill lists of my champions, and sent in three of my warriors: a veteran archer, a swordsman who had single-handedly driven away goblin, and a recruit who happened to be in the same squad as the two of them. I planned for him to distract the olm while the others killed it.

Unfortunately, the archer arrived first, and the recruit last. The archer fired every arrow he had at the olm, lodging many in the olm's pale hide, before it reached him and tore his head off. Then, the swordsman charged in, yelling at the top of his lungs, and crashed into the giant olm. In their struggle, they ended up falling down the well into the underground river, where the swordsman drowned to death miserably (along with his masterwork steel armor, which I never recovered).

I decided to call this a lost cause, but before I could lock the door the squad's survivor, the recruit, had run into the room. Bear in mind that though he was a recruit, he had been training for months with my other champions; he had just never seen true combat before that day.

Wielding his golden sword, he too charged at the olm, which resorted to its tried and true technique of luring its attacker underwater, where it would drown him to death. As the olm and the recruit struggled with each other, the underground river clouded with red blood. The recruit's sword became embedded in the olm, and at that point I thought that it was over, because there was no way a wrestler could overcome such an experienced killer in its own environment. Suddenly, the background of the olm's tile changed to red, and the recruit swam out of the well victorious.

Later, that recruit fell in love with and married one of the baron's surviving daughters, and became one of my most decorated veterans, but alas, he was killed by crossbowmen before he could have a child.

On his grave is written the name "Olmbane".
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod