Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I hates the pump stack!  (Read 560 times)

Grelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I hates the pump stack!
« on: September 04, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »

So, I've been reading everything I can get my greedy little eyes on pump stacks. Trying to get my little mini water-fall to work. And yet, it refuses.

I've got a 3 wide hallway coming into the fortress. I've got a channel above, land a channel below. Both channels go across the hallway fully. The channel below is covered with floor grates so people can walk through the mist. The water below runs off to the south. At the run off I have a pump stack, pumping from the south to the north, atop this, one zlevel up, I have another stack pumping from the north to the south, and then I have a series of walls that basically duct the water over to the top channel, so that the water-falls down, and we start the process again. I covered the top pump stack with a windmill, and the rest of the whole contraption with a roof, (So no bird poop gets into the waterfall.)

The top pump, is active, works fine, requires 10 of the 40 power I'm drawing.
The bottom pump is NOT active at all and refuses to play nice.

If I set a dorf to pump the bottom pump manually, the whole contraption works great. That tells me the pump stack is built correctly, it's just that power doesn't seem to be transmitting down from the top pump to the bottom pump, and I'm at a complete loss as to why.

Any ideas oh mighty brains of dorfy goodness?
Someone stole my profile.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hates the pump stack!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:17:27 pm »

You need a channeled tile over the pump as well as the tile where you take the water from, otherwise, power won't transfer.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:22:18 pm »

Yes, when checking the power needed from any part of the mechanism shows the amount the whole structure needs, then you know it's all linked.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »

You need two channeled holes for each pump except the bottom one, alternating as "1010" and "0101".  If you have the holes dug correctly, then each pump location becomes "keyed" and you can't install a pump backwards; if it allows you to place a pump facing either way, then you haven't dug the holes correctly :)

If you haven't dug two holes for each pump, you need to deconstruct all the pumps (except the bottom one) and dig the power transfer hole, and then rebuild the pumps.  Since you're saying it works when you run the pumps by hand, this is probably what is wrong.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:PumpStack2010.png

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:49 pm »

In other words, pump stacks need the floors above the "solid" part of the pump removed in order to transfer power up the stack, and they need to be built from the bottom up.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Grelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 06:17:16 pm »

Ahh.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense.

Time to try again and do it right this time. :> Thanks all.

(I still hates em tho)
Someone stole my profile.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »

(I still hates em tho)

Use one to create Heaven's Spitoon, (AKA. "Orbital Bombardment" AKA "Death From Above") and you will no longer hate them quite so much.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]