Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Now is your chance to fix the deficit!  (Read 2227 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now is your chance to fix the deficit!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:10 pm »

I'm just waiting for Nikov's reaction to all the military cuts, now.

I think those would be why my hippy tree palaces always end up invaded in computer games ._.;;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

Tax everything, cut all spending, fuck everyone.
Use the money to make a secret presidential spaceship.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 04:33:14 pm »

Tax everything, cut all spending, fuck everyone.
Use the money to make a secret presidential spaceship.
Well duh, that's been our plan for a long time now.  We're not going to win by conquest anymore and we're sure not going to win by diplomacy; that, and culture victories are pretty much broken.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 05:05:16 pm »

Vector taxes everything

But at least there's an enormous surplus?

I don't think this model tracks GDP growth. I preferred Budget Hero, where not only did I increase DARPA and NASA funding, I added two new divisions to the Army and was projected A-OK right out to 2070. In their system, taxes have an impact. Here it seems to just be a vacuum.

Also unlike you guys, I'm not taking this thread spr srsly.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 05:07:39 pm »

In their system, taxes have an impact. Here it seems to just be a vacuum.

Yeah, that's a good point.  I should probably go brush up on my basic econ a little before I run for president.

(I am totally kidding, by the way.  I know very well that I would make a terrible head of state)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:10:10 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »

Same goes for cuts.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 05:56:19 pm »

Nobody can make more than an educated guess at what effect taxes and spending will really have on an economy.  For a super broad blanket example, just look at Reaganomics.  Top marginal taxes and corporate tax has only decreased since the 1970s, and adjusted-for-inflation wages have been totally stagnant for the same time period, while the manufacturing industry has fled the country.

Let alone trying to predict anything sixty years in advance, when every new Congress and President is doing the same sixty-years-out predictions on unreliable theories and models, eager to completely rewrite whatever plan was already in place.  I imagine real Congressmen don't look at predictions or data any farther out or more complicated than exactly this kind of spreadsheet.

Aqizzar Loves the 1990s.  And I wouldn't do anything with a surplus besides pay down the debt; the legally-mandated interest alone is 10% of the budget for God's sake.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 06:02:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:10:21 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

Yeah, but you gotta be careful.  We all remember how Godawful the economy was in the 1990s, right?  Yes, the Great Depression of 1997 still haunts us today if you look hard enough.

I really did not need this thing today.  I have so much other stuff to do besides explain tax and budget policy.  The Mythology of Earmarks for example.

By the way, anyone know how to get the url without the little yellow box?  Because it doesn't show up if you don't balance the budget and I wanted to show off a plan that failed to do so.  Specifically, my hardline Conservative stick-in-the-eye plan, of reducing all government aspects outside of the military, raising all social welfare ages and standards, and no raised taxes or closed loopholes for anyone.  It comes up about a third short in both timeframes.

The Super Arch-Conservative Plan to raise taxes only on below-$250000, add a National Sales tax, and reducing military pay, plus the above, actually produces a hefty surplus twenty years out.  The National Sales tax is only necessary to make the numbers work in the short term.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 08:58:17 pm »

this game is too easy. There should be some kind of options that effect each other. Like if you choose one then the other goes down so you have to plan carefully. I mean there are always the "choose 1 or none" but then you just choose the better one right?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 09:44:03 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/13/weekinreview/deficits-graphic.htm?choices=005pd0q9
I call it the "Screw Old People That Can't Work, Rich People Have Too Much Money, War Is Inevitable" plan, anagrammable in easy think-thought as PIMP WORMS TWITCH. This would be further fuelled by Projected Intellectual Erosion of Senescence, or PIES.

The future is now bite-sized understandable, thanks to SCIENCE!~ Your protests are fear-spasms, and I disregard them with the highest possible level of fondness for nostalgia and Amish craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:48:42 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 [2]