Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can i starting DF  (Read 1031 times)

kilostar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How can i starting DF
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »

i'm a new coming.
my dwarf always are thirsty or hungry to die after two years. how can i get food and drink?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can i starting DF
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:45:39 pm »

Establishing a stable farming industry should solve your food and drink problems. Plump helmets grow year round and can be easily be grow in large number in the muddy caverns. Harvest them for food, and bring some of them into alcohol at stills. This provides a plentiful amount of both food an alcohol.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:50:42 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress; enjoy the learning cliff.

And I'm horrible at offering good advice, so I'll just say this: STAY AWAY FROM THE CARP.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »

The wikia is your best friend while learning.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

kilostar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:57:06 pm »

thx.
i can't visit wiki.
where can i get the newbie helps such as how to planting? i find the make plant menu , but only one plot made once.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:00 pm »

Just dig straight down. You'll find it after the third cavern. It's below the red stuff.

Or if you're boring, you can [d]esignate gathering [p]lants as an immediate means of getting food.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:27:40 pm »

Just dig straight down. You'll find it after the third cavern. It's below the red stuff.

Or if you're boring, you can [d]esignate gathering [p]lants as an immediate means of getting food.
Actually, it's below the blue pillars in the middle of the red stuff. You gotta dig through the pillars.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »

Actually, it's below the blue pillars in the middle of the red stuff. You gotta dig through the pillars.
In specific, the center of said pillars

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:47:22 pm »

Okay, 1. Don't listen to them, they're trying to make you fail.

2. Three ways to get food, one of which helps you get drink, too. a) Animal farming or hunting. Bring some dogs with you and breed them, and kill the puppies. b) Gathering food outside. c) Farming, the ground needs to be muddy so either dig to the carverns, or dump water on a farming area in your fort.

3. Embark on a river, you get all the water you need.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:26 pm »

If you're in a bind you can always set the gather plants labor on some of your dwarves and designate an area outside to gather plants.  If you set up a butcher shop and have the butcher labor enabled on one dwarf you can butcher some of the tame animals hanging around your fort(there's usually a couple of donkeys, horses or cows or something).  That's probably the easiest way to get quick food but it's limited by the number of tame animals you have.

With water sources usually readily available you shouldn't have a problem with dwarves dieing of thirst but you'll want to have booze available to keep them happy.  They will usually drink only booze but will resort to drinking water if none is available which can give them unhappy thoughts.

That's probably the next thing you will have to deal with once food and drink are no longer an issue.  It's probably inevitable that you'll see your dwarves "mood" themselves to death in your next game.  The best way to avoid this is to dig out a decent sized dining room with plenty of chairs and tables and keep the booze flowing.  Trust me.  If you make a real good public dining room and keep a good variety of booze on tap your dwarves will maintain an ecstatic mood almost all the time.  Until the goblins show up.  Then dwarves start dieing and nothing puts a dwarf in a bad mood like having one of their friends die.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:19:33 am »

Getting one of your dwarves to butcher, cook and brew is good. Getting another to be able to gather plants and farm is good. Getting a hunter with a crossbow and some ammo is good. Getting someone to start digging and getting rocks for another one to start making rock crafts is good. Build workshops for all these guys either out of logs or stone. You can then trade the crafts with your first caravan assuming your dwarves are not all dead by then.

Once you get the basics, your farmer can grow plants, your chef can turn them into booze and cook whatever your hunter brings back. You need to either bring a bunch of barrels with you or cut down trees to get logs for a carpenter to turn into barrels.  You can trade for anything you desperately need and in a few years your farming and brewing should be pretty self sufficient.

And to be honest your forts are going to all die over and over for quite some time until you get the hang of things. If anyone claims to have had a successful fort their first time around they are a dirty liar.  Just don't give up or get discouraged.  You'll get the hang of it with a lot of trial and error. And eventually you'll get to the point where you are killing all your dwarves on purpose!

Hang out on the forums, read a lot!! and look at the wiki.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 08:05:08 am »

Actually my current fort is my first fort.

It's quite successful.