Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: volcanoes?  (Read 1013 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: volcanoes?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 12:15:03 pm »

I usually like to use the auto gen. Otherwise it seems like cheating to me.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:25:44 pm »

Yeah i use the autogen as well,dunno like you said seems like cheating.However it means i have to spend hours creating maps for that perfect volcano spot(usually only 1),silly i know but...

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 09:54:33 pm »

I generated a few volcanic maps, but many of them don't actually have any volcanoes. Well, they do, but 50+ z-levels down. Is there a way to just make a magma pipe be closer to the surface? I don't mind pumping, just not 100+ z-levels since the last time I tried I couldn't find a way to go straight down without disturbing caverns.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 11:08:33 pm »

Set the "Minimum Volcano Number" setting to however many volcanoes you want on your map, and that is exactly as many as you'll get.  Note that around 75% of them will still be impossible to embark at though.

As far as the tweaking params = cheating thing goes, that's up to your individual preference of course, but that's why these settings are left open in the interface and customizable.   If you have a high tolerance for boredom and lots of time, then never touch any worldgen settings and just wade through random results until you get what you're looking for, you will eventually :)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 05:51:20 pm »

I was wondering how I could identify which volcanoes were exposed at the surface and which maps contained magma pipes close to the surface. I have been on a number of maps where this was the case and actually most of my previous volcano embarks were pretty fortunate. Now, I have embarked 10 times on volcanoes and all were about as far down as the deepest magma pools. Is there a way to see prior to embarking if the volcano/pipes are close to surface or at the surface, like by looking at how close the obsidian layer is to the surface?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:13 pm »

If the tile on the region or local maps is the one for a volcano (i.e. peak, but red) the crater is open to the sky, but there is no way of knowing how far down you'll have to go to get the magma (I only rarely see it lower than 2 levels, far more common is even with top layer of the obsidian).

Unfortunately, the crater itself may be below the level of the rest of the surface, but this is less likely if you check the elevations & the volcano tile is a 0 (lower # = less change in elevation across the tile).

I would note that whilst, IMLimitedE, all tiles that show as volcanos are open to the surface, at the instant of embark at least (submerged craters technically meet this criteria for the frame before water rushes in), not all such volcanos will show on the region tile if they trumped by something else (I've seen it happen a 2-3 times, but can't remember what the high priority features were).
Pages: 1 [2]