Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you defend your fortress?

Dwarves and axes only. Sparta style.
- 10 (18.9%)
Traps, either mundane or massively complex.
- 43 (81.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Defense Strategy  (Read 1503 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defense Strategy
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 06:48:27 pm »

A mix of both.

I generally make a bunch of serrated steel discs if steel is available, otherwise bronze or maybe iron to throw it up quick.

Cage traps are fast to throw up and work alright, but it can be annoying to empty them, even if you have a pit to dump them in that kills them. I'll throw them up in the caverns if i have a lot of annoying stuff coming up all the time.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »

After losing several fortresses to dwarves cleaning traps I decided to go with a squad of axe dwarves for my latest one.  Of course you'd figure I'd find the least amount of hostiles on this map.  It's been four years and I've yet to see a single ambush.

For my next fortress I'm considering a retractable bridge over a pit that goes all the way into the first cavern.  Let the goblins deal with the one eyed, round shelled booger monster.

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »

Traps to handle wild animals and invading forces. Something about a 3x9 corridor of nothing but *iron serrated disc* x10 tends to keep the riffraff out.

For stragglers and murdering absolutely everything else, I set a burrow to cover the entire cavern structure and instruct my military to "defend" it. Aggressively.

Edit: To answer the poll, "Yes."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:24:02 pm by lordofhyphens »
"Extinction is not an option."

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »

Both. It depends upon my mood. I tend to have multiple entrances, usually two. Both sealable so goblins start standing around looking dumb if I so choose. For traps a 2x30 entrance of whatever 10 weapons I feel like throwing into them tends to make some really nice and thinly sliced goblins, because if the discs don't get you, then the hammers, spears, spikes, axes, and swords surely will. No need to worry about what it's made of when you've got 300 different weapons swinging, a few will surely make contact. My second entrance is a sort of "airlock" chamber that I use to let my military out, without letting baddies in. For the places below, I have another "airlock", my military always take care of anything down there, too lazy to come up with traps, should I get sieged while dealing with a FB, I just let the siege come through my oh so friendly trap entrance. If it's an issue of a FB while I'm using my military to take care of a siege, the drawbridges just come up and he can wait for me to finish the siege.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:30 am »

Cage traps, war elephants, engineered cave-ins, drowning chambers and as a last resort, poorly trained yet exceptionally equipped axedwarves.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 12:13:08 pm »

After losing several fortresses to dwarves cleaning traps I decided to go with a squad of axe dwarves for my latest one.  Of course you'd figure I'd find the least amount of hostiles on this map.  It's been four years and I've yet to see a single ambush.

It may help you to forbid the traps after placing them, that's what I do, and then unforbid them when it's appropriate - this keeps eager mechanics from rushing out to clean the scum off your great whirling blades, with a toothbrush, in the middle of a horde of gobbies. 

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 12:26:06 pm »

A war dragon manning a chokepoint through a fortification. A reasonable distance from the booze stockpile, naturally.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »

Dragons are good, but what happens if a goblin gets in a lucky hit? They're fleshy and squishy.

One dragon is just not enough. :(

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:13 pm »

Dragons are good, but what happens if a goblin gets in a lucky hit? They're fleshy and squishy.

One dragon is just not enough. :(
Well the dragon's protected against melee, and the set up means that any marksgoblins need to be within blast range to get a good angle

If I find another dragon, though, there's room to install a second.
Pages: 1 [2]