Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refuse piles...  (Read 861 times)

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refuse piles...
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:57 am »

How or where do i build a refuse pile that invaders cant get into?? it gets annoying that you get sieged or attacked by something  and wait until the enemy is in sight so that you can attack it or set your traps on it(or flood the map with lava heh).....then find out that they fly and are already inside your fortress from the refuse pile.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse piles...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:18:58 am »

Your issue is the miasma, right?

I would suggest the use of doors to combat this vile miasma. ;)

If you want it to be really safe, make the entrance into the refuse room by diagonals (doors in the corners of the refuse room, not in the walls). Miasma won't spread over diagonals.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:26:21 am »

Build it outside. In a walled enclosure
Roof it with with constucter floors.
if a tile have been exposed to sky once, it will always be considered outside
If you consider this a glitch exploit, then by all means replace some of the roof tiles with floor grates,
or the walls  wall grates, vertical bars, or fortifications.
IRL, opeoing a window (or three) lets the smell out of a whole room.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:19 am »

Unless he wants to somehow store that miasma and use against his foes, I doubt it's that - let me get this straight, Phreak - the enemies fly into your refuse stockpile and then come into your fort through the refuse stockpile? If that's your problem, then may suggest roofs?

V12US

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:28:39 am »

If you make an outside refuse pile, then wall it off and cover it with a roof of floortiles a Z-level above, it still counts as outside, eventhough it is a completely enclosed area.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:09:57 pm »

Put pressure plate-controlled floodgate system over your refuse pile to flush it with magma whenever a dwarf leaves (one-way doors help) and flood in such a way that dwarves retreat from it toward the door. Miasma problem is solved.