Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your best cavern?  (Read 641 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your best cavern?
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »

Hey guys.

I've recently started 2010 and my favorite thing to do so far is try to live in the caverns as much as possible.

Have you ever discovered a cavern that made you want to shift your entire fort's focus just to living in it?  Does anybody have a huge multi z level cavern that one could perhaps build an 'above ground' fort within?

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your best cavern?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »

One straightforward challenge mode to play with is to burrow immediately down to the first cavern level and set up shop there in the open as if you were building a town on the surface. You permanently wall off the surface and only use additional tunneling to mine needed rock and ore. Subsurface fortifications are a good idea if you want to live though, as you'll certainly run into hostile creatures earlier.

This makes it trivial to set up early farming, get water access and wood, and as an additional bonus you can usually start a weaving industry a year earlier than you would otherwise - but if you're unlucky and stumble across a GCS or a tribe of troglodytes too early, it can spell immediate doom.

The real challenge is that you'll have no-where to hide when that first Forgotten Beast spawns, so you can't dally about with your defensive preparations.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:16:51 pm »

I like open caverns, so I always set them to near max openness. Makes it feel much more epic when you fight forgotten beasts down there.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:20:11 pm »

Although it isn't something that makes me want to move down there... on the current fortress I'm playing, the first level of cavern is nothing but water, walls and empty space(of then the floor underneath the water)