Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Simple, preventable mistakes you made on your first few fortresses  (Read 7870 times)

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple, preventable mistakes you made on your first few fortresses
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »

On my first few fortress I had problems with aquifers since everywhere I dug into would have "wet stone". Soon enough I got tired of it and kept digging and hit the underground river and flood out my entrance and nearly half the map before I realize that it wasn't going to stop and I had to abandoned before my whole area becomes a giant lake.

On another fortress I had. I was more worried about setting up farms and producing a ton of food and my entrance was mostly empty with no defense at all. Needless to say my food stores were overflowing with fish and plants but I had no booze cause I could never make enough barrels before they were used up to store more food. Dwarf were running everywhere drinking out of the river outside and then the goblin ambush shows up right at my entrance way blocking them from coming in and slaughtering anyone that tried to get back inside. Needless to say that fortressed ended pretty quickly after that.

Now all my fortress have multilayer traps set up at the entrance and I extended my entrance making everyone walked a long way before getting anywhere close to the interior. So yea set up your traps early and quickly while your doing everything else otherwise your fortress is doom at the first ambush.

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:08 pm »

Make sure you are building a proper irrigation chamber. Otherwise, you'll flood your entire fortress.

Yeah, me too. Only I started with 23a...

Zeus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2010, 03:00:30 am »

well my first fort after reading the tutorial ended horribly because i had no ideal how to irrigate underground farms.

My first favorite fort,the one that id like to think of as my actualy first firt was in an amazing location, it had amazing scenary, plenty of wood and food. The fort was on its way to becoming a bonified dwarf heaven when i realized that my booze supply was dwindling rapidly and winter would soon set it, freezing the water. I worked as quickly as possible to build a well but was unable to figure out how to build a 2x2 stone wall area where i could set the well atop of it. The water froze, my well was incomplete and a large amount of dwarves managed to die of thirst at the same time.

Now my third (2nd) fort, ringblazed, is doing amazingly well. 91 immigrants. Only real concern was when a giantess made an appearance. Luckily a bunch of elf merchants managed to give her the run around and tire her out so my 7 dwarf wrestlers made suprisingly quick work of her.
Anyways remember to always keep enough booze in stock, and that many plants are capable of being brewed into fine dwarven ale.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2010, 04:00:46 am »

Built a water supply next to my living quarters, several levels lower than the river. Had the water fall down to the level below the quarters, then get pumped up into a sort of artificial pond to depressurise it. Switched off the pump when the pond was full. Forgot that a waterfall down several z-levels will eventually overflow if there's a blockage at the bottom. Also forgot to seal the waterworks away from, well, everything else.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Skytale

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:52 pm »

"Hey look, carp! I'll send all my fisherdwarves out to get me some food..."

But my most epic fail came when I was building my second fort.  I wanted it to be self-contained, so I was making it underneath a river, with the idea that river source tiles would be included in a little lake on my "roof".

In order to keep my fisherdwarves safe while they fished, I decided to put a ceiling on the lake with floor grates in it.  Unfortunately, my failure to realize that floor grates did not provide support caused a cave-in that caused a floor tile to drop through the bottom of the lake - and of course, cascaded through every single floor of my fortress below it.  It was an instant fortress kill as all (14?) floors filled with water from the infinite lake.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]