Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization vanishes  (Read 1351 times)

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
Civilization vanishes
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

Right from the start, I dug straight to the cave river, built a bridge, went to the chasm, bridge, then hit the magma as quickly as possible. I channeled water to the entrance of the fortress, bridged it, and hooked it up to a lever, then put a locked door in front of it. A bit after this, I recieved a message stating that my civilization vanished, and the game ended. I had not hit any adamantine, or eerie glowing pits. Anyone have any ideas why?

Dwarves were not allowed to go outdoors, the door out was locked, the drawbridge was up, it was still the first year, and the metalsmith had already gotten in.

Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization vanishes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

Weird. How exactly was the message?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

Did all your dwarves die at once?
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

Could you try to reclaim your fortress and tell us if that bug happens again ?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

Interesting. It almost seems more like a feature... you did, after all, cut off all contact with the outside world. It isn't permanent, however, so it is rather perplexing why you lost your fort.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

It was something like "Many question what had happened. Some say it was overrun by kobolds. Others think it was just a poorly run fortress. Still others believe that somebody the something demon had taken it over. What truly happened to (insert fortress name here)? Only you will know" At first I thought it meant one of the trading people I was in contact with, but after the message went away it started doing the saving units and world and such.

Anyways, all my dwarves were fine. The lava didn't overflow, none drowned, nothing had attacked, no cave-ins occured, food was plentiful and was being eaten, wells were accesible. It just happened all of a sudden. I'll try to reclaim it and see what I find, I'll post afterward.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

Weird! I can't reclaim the fortress, it really DID vanish! How strange...

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

Its either that or its considered to have been taken over by the demon (in which case you can't reclaim it).  Can you make another fortress in the same site?  Or can you find it in adventure mode?  I don't know if it would appear in the legends, but you might want to try that if anything.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

That message is for the too deep endgame only, so that counter got triggered somehow.  Did you use any of the utilities that have been floating around?  Any other instances of a premature too-deeping?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

I have heard that there were cases of small adamntite veins near the chasms offshoots. Rare occasions, but i rerad it on the wiki somehwere if anyone wants to look, but that would explain the death of your fort.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

If the endgame trigger caused it to fall, he must've started the event somehow in the spring, because it takes two seasons for that to happen....

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pitchblack:
<STRONG>I have heard that there were cases of small adamntite veins near the chasms offshoots. Rare occasions, but i rerad it on the wiki somehwere if anyone wants to look, but that would explain the death of your fort.</STRONG>

I think you misunderstand. At the 'end' of the fort is a giant, unpassable chasm. every now and then there are offshoots surrounded by adamantine. It's not talking about the chasm before the magma. there is never any adamantine before the glowing pits (unless there is some strange bug floating around).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!