Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fatal Error - missing color definition  (Read 1229 times)

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fatal Error - missing color definition
« on: November 16, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »

I got the new version, made some new worlds and started a new fortress. I played it for a little while then saved.

Started it back up, and after choosing the fortress, it gave me a:

Fatal Error -
"Missing Color Definition"

and crashed

Velcro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fatal Error - missing color definition
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »

I get the exact same error.  I generated a new world and started a fort.  I saved it immediately.  When I tried to reload the game, it crashed with the Fatal Error - missing color definition message.  When I tried to generate another world, I couldn't even start the Dwarf Fortress mode without it crashing.

Velcro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:09:00 pm »

Ok, I messed around with it a bit more.  Loading an old saved game in the new version worked just fine, and I was able to abandon the old fort and start a new fort in the old world with the new version just fine.  Please pardon the run-on sentence, but I hope this information helps!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:11:00 pm »

Okay, I've figured this out.  For now, people should quit all the way out before they reload -- there is some lingering color data that isn't being cleaned, and it will infect the worlds.  I should be able to salvage affected saves by cleaning out the duplicated data.

Edit:  Also, the error itself will probably only happen if you abort world generation and then start it again (to get a better world name for example).  Avoid doing this for now.

[ November 16, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:27:00 am »

Still got this in 23b  :(

Velcro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 11:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Okay, I've figured this out.  For now, people should quit all the way out before they reload -- there is some lingering color data that isn't being cleaned, and it will infect the worlds.  I should be able to salvage affected saves by cleaning out the duplicated data.

Edit:  Also, the error itself will probably only happen if you abort world generation and then start it again (to get a better world name for example).  Avoid doing this for now.

[ November 16, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]</STRONG>

Yeah, I did restart the world generation because the name sucked.  Good call.  I'm really impressed at how quick you figured it out.  Thanks!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 04:12:00 pm »

This was reported against 23a and 23b.

23c is up now, which should resolve the issue and make old saves work.  I didn't have an old broken save to test, so let me know if they're still busted.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!