Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Community meta-project idea, dorf mode AND adventure mode  (Read 2734 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Community meta-project idea, dorf mode AND adventure mode
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 02:04:20 pm »

This was the version of this idea in 40d: the World of Traps and Attractions

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25429.msg292396#msg292396

Toady said he fixed the bug that caused pressure plates to not work in 40d adventure mode, so pressure plate-triggered traps like timed floods or magma release will work for adventure forts in 31.0x hopefully.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 03:00:55 pm »

Well, good to see there's some enthusiasm.

How does adventure mode deal with abandoned fortresses? I remember reading about both finding everything abandoned (as if the inhabitants disappeared), and also about going and tracking down the former inhabitants (I believe someone did this in order to hunt and kill all the inhabitants of Headshoots). So do you have to kill off all the inhabitants to make a fortress 'abandoned' so they don't carry off all the artifacts?

Also, how is the layout of an abandoned fortress stored in the savegame? I gather that the game does some random scattering of fortress contents along with repopulation by random monsters, but is this new layout stored in the savegame, or is it an expression of some algorithm that only exists when you physically travel there? I'm wondering if we can 'uncover' an old fort in adv. mode, and then basically hack it to put things where we want them, and insert things like forgotten beasts and other monsters to act as bosses and minibosses, in some logical order... AND then kill off the first adventurer, start a new one, and find the fort again still in its hacked state.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 11:00:20 am »

So no go? Reading the previous thread I am really hoping for this to go somewhere...
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 [2]