Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat refinements  (Read 1151 times)

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat refinements
« on: September 26, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

This is not a bug in the traditional sense, but it is something that is, well, rather broken.

quote:
You hack at The large rat in the head with your iron great axe!
It is broken!
The large rat's right eye has been slashed out!
The large rat's right ear has been broken!
The large rat's left ear has been broken!
The large rat's throat has been slashed out!
The large rat's brain has been cut!

Now, there's two things here that could really use some work.  First, there's the fact that ears get broken, and while that's not the main issue I'm taking it does bear mentioning that neither ears nor brains are the sort of things that can really get 'broken'.  The second and more important issue is that, while I'm no biologist it's not hard to figure out that a person's brain, throat, eyes, and ears are in rather different places, and that unless this is a nigh-unrecognizable sort of axe that a hit like this is impossible.  Whenever I try to picture it I always come away with the impression that my axe glances off, then the enemy I've hit starts to go from a smile to a look of shock as his/her/its head starts to fall apart.  Not that this isn't a fun picture by itself, but it definitely breaks suspension of disbelief, which isn't good for a game that has attempts to be realistic.

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat refinements
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

Well in the case of the ears, I think it's not so much the external part of the ear but the inner ear that gets damaged.

Though yeah it does seem overkill for a single axe swipe to be able to tear off your throat, gouge out both your eyes, slice open both your ears, chop off your nose, and cleave into the brain all at the same time. Omnipresent axe or something?

Or far more well known is the case of crossbows and bows. Arrows and bolts can go through both lungs and the heart at the same time and this happens very, very, very often. There's only two angles this can happen at, and it's hard to believe that it's always the case.

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »

Just an additive; On the same level, wouldn't something like this cause instant death instead of just... agonizingly gruesome twisty-twists?

...The fact I'm twisting an axe with an axe notwithstanding.

Also, Fish grenades are silly.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:38:00 am »

I'm inclined to think that twisting stuff like an axe should, depending on your level of strength and the power of the initial blow, *eventually* result in you cutting/lifting the weapon free.  It's presumably either caught in some tough muscle, a tight group of bones, or both, and after twisting a stuck yet sharp axe around in a creature, it only makes sense that the muscles/bones get ripped apart as you work at them, and once the opening is wide enough it should be possible to get it out even though you may not have had *quite* enough strength to get it out in a single go.  Incorporating this idea that getting a stuck weapon out of a creature gets easier as you continue to move it around would be rather nicer than the current all-or-nothing system we seem to have now.

As for fish grenades, yes, that is silly, but IIRC throwing in general may already have its own topic, and also IIRC Toady has noted that throwing requires an overhaul (especially for the non-standard weapons  :) ).

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:16:00 am »

I'm inclined to believe that the reason hits to distant parts are possible is due to an attack not representing a single blow, but a frenzied round of combat hitting the location over and over again.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:28:00 am »

Does that go for arrows and bolts as well?  :p

More critically, why then does the game act like I've only hit the enemy once?

A Kobold''s Quest II

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BDR:
<STRONG>  The second and more important issue is that, while I'm no biologist it's not hard to figure out that a person's brain, throat, eyes, and ears are in rather different places, and that unless this is a nigh-unrecognizable sort of axe that a hit like this is impossible.  Whenever I try to picture it I always come away with the impression that my axe glances off, then the enemy I've hit starts to go from a smile to a look of shock as his/her/its head starts to fall apart.  Not that this isn't a fun picture by itself, but it definitely breaks suspension of disbelief, which isn't good for a game that has attempts to be realistic.</STRONG>

*sick thoughts*

First, imagine splitting a log with an axe...

Then, imagine a large rat's head as being that log..

Axe goes in from top, splitting the head from the top down, entering just a bit dorsal, but just a bit, so it hits both ears. While making it's way down all the way to the throat, the sheer pressure of the brain splitting in two causes one eye to go *pop* -out of it's socket..

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

Wouldn't that qualify as chopping off half the head, basically?  Though whether that is a recognized insta-kill like splitting the head from crown to chin is isn't something I know for sure.  Plus, the actual damage from the blow you're describing should result in a mangled brain, not just a cut one like in my example.

A Kobold''s Quest II

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

I don't know.

I don't have trouble picturing a great swing of the axe cutting up through the neck, face, then out the side of the head.  Through the blade's travel through the head is just demolished, it could have hit the throat, eyes, ears, brain, etc..

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

Isn't there another message saying you cut their head from chin to crown or something like that?

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 02:44:00 am »

Could be I just mixed up the order; either way it means you caused the left and right sides of the face/head to be permanently seperated, as opposed to a horizontal slice and/or cutting off the front half as described in the posts above.  ;)

A Kobold''s Quest II

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BDR:
<STRONG>I'm inclined to think that twisting stuff like an axe should, depending on your level of strength and the power of the initial blow, *eventually* result in you cutting/lifting the weapon free.  </STRONG>

I personally think if you have enough strength you should be able to continue using the weapon... well, kinda...

You strike at the ratman in the head with your iron axe!
It is mangled!
Horrible things happen to ratman's head!
The iron axe is stuck firmly in the wound!

You strike the troglodyte in the lower body with your ratman!
It is mangled!
The ratman is stuck firmly in the wound!

The ratman has suffocated.