Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coin hauling  (Read 920 times)

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coin hauling
« on: September 22, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

I have a large vault in my fortress with coin stockpiles, which at this stage are mostly empty (eight bins or so).  However, I have several (20+) stacks of coins showing up in the [t] menu of my two magma forges.  Dwarves appear to have collected fractions of some of these stacks like they would normally, with the economy in full swing, but for two seasons these stacks of coins have remained unhauled.  I'd like to get them to my vault rather than clutter up my forges.

Any ideas?  I have plenty of idle haulers and plenty of room in the stockpiles.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coin hauling
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:10:00 pm »

Give your dwarves rooms.  Those coins are probably all owned by some dwarf or another.  They don't put owned stuff in stockpiles, they put them in their rooms.

Cabinets hold clothes, coffers/chests are supposed to hold coins and such, but they don't right now.

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:20:00 pm »

I just checked.  Most of the dwarves have rooms and are in fact storing coins in their coffers.  Some however appear to be avoiding rent and sleeping in the barracks, so that may be the cause.  Can you assign coffers to dwarves without bedrooms?

Thanks for the post.

p.s. it's the nobles that don't seem to like to use their containers.  THe regulars seem to do just fine.

[ September 22, 2007: Message edited by: oolon1 ]

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

Whoops, double-checked the [t] menu again, and the coins are in fact owned.  All of them.

That said, I further investigated and the owners of the coins don't seem to be assigned to any rooms.  Not sure why, I have ample rooms available to rent.  Guess I'll have to do it manually.

Thanks again.

Edit:  Actually, I can't seem to force this guy to rent a room with a coffer in it.  Any ideas?

[ September 22, 2007: Message edited by: oolon1 ]

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

What's his profession? He probably isn't making enough to afford a room with a coffer in it. Set him up with a more commonly-used, better-paying job. Or just give him a lever to pull on repeat...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

You have just encountered the economy mess.
As it is now, hauling personal items is a very low priority job, so basically, when your economy starts and you produce more coins, they will be claimed by your dwarves and take decades to be hauled. If you want to avoid this mess, make only coins that are not used in the economy (no gold, silver and copper). You will still get the coin-associated nobles and not the cluttered workshops. Or you could just ignore the bookkeeper's coin mandates and stop producing coins when the economy starts.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 09:34:00 am »

That's wrong; they don't always take decades to be hauled. Sometimes, they take centuries.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 10:39:00 am »

I've never had problems with the economy.  I don't let my dwarves specialize though, that lets me have an overall lower quality of items and furniture making the rooms slightly cheaper.  However, price isn't really an issue since my dwarves are always getting richer and richer (On my latest fortress the average is ~2000 coins).  Everybody helps with hauling, even the farmers, and miners also double as masons.  I'd have to say that the poorest of my dwarves are mechanics since they don't have to do their jobs too often.

It probably helps that ~50% of my dwarves are in the military.

How do you get your dwarves to store things in coffers?  Every room I make has one or two coffers in it and my dwarves always throw their coins on the floor.  Cabinets are always full of their clothes though.

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 10:53:00 am »

I have lots of cheap, empty rooms.  One of them rents at 61*.  I think the problem right now is I have too many dwarves than I know what to do with and they aren't making any money.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »

That's what pointless glorification projects are for!  Set out to build some grand hall and fill it with statues and junk.  Or make room for more and more stores for your dwarves to spend their coins in.  Keep on making low-mid quality crafts and clothes to sell in the stores.