Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biodiversity and Lies  (Read 1114 times)

adude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Biodiversity and Lies
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:00 am »

So I start a fortress in a "heavily" forested area.  I start to put my woodcutter to work, and... where's all the trees?  All I see are bushes and grass.  Scroll to the left and find that the river is completely packed with willows!  Sure enough, there are no outdoor trees except weeping willows on this map.  There are enough river and swamp areas to give me a secure supply of wood--but surely this behaviour doesn't make a lot of sense!

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biodiversity and Lies
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

Are you complaining that the trees aren't spread out more or that there aren't more different types of trees?

I like how willows only grow next to rivers.  The first time I saw that, I gave a gaping "wow".  I can't think of a way to efficiently do that without placing the trees and the river at the same time.  If they grew next to the swamps, it would still be neat I guess, but perhaps harder to notice than what it's like now.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

Heavily Forested just means it has a lot of trees. What doesn't make sense?
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

If you are looking for a forest, you should choose a forest map.
"heavily forested" only describes the tree density in the terrain of your chosen map.
So my guess is you are playing in a heavily forested swamp/ marsh area.
To choose (and see) the type of map you will play your fortress in, select "prepare for the journey carefully" (spacebar) when beginning a game, press (TAB) twice and then you can scroll through the available maps using (+) and (-).
In the map description the topmost line describes the type of terrain you will be playing in.
But actually I think it provides even more of a challenge to play in maps where wood is in short supply..
Have fun!  ;)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

I think his confusion relates to the fact that when you think of a heavily forested area in Real Life (tm), you don't immediately think of a bunch of willows sitting next to a river.  You think of a bunch of trees in the wilderness instead.  Also, I suppose the fact that trees have a limit on how close together they can grow given that they're competing for light and nutrients hasn't exactly been addressed sufficiently to make sense either.  All I can do is repeat Turgid Bolk, "Heavily Forested just means it has a lot of trees."  What doesn't make a lot of sense is that it's not a forest in the colloquial, Real Life (tm) sense of the word, which is to say more technically that the density isn't a problem as much as the placement and the diversity are.

Now I have to wonder if a 'forest' of willows exists anywhere for real...

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

I thought I heard elsewhere that this was a bug--that there SHOULD be other trees, but there just aren't any defined for the types of land in that region that aren't right next to the river.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!