Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So um... 40d4 is crashing for me (40d doesnt). Am I doin' it wrong?  (Read 749 times)

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, maybe I'm being a big noob, but I saw the new version linked in the RSS feed for 40d4 yesterday or the day before.  Anyway, I downloaded and installed it (but not BC, do i need that??), but when I run it and load up (or create) a fortress, I have a few problems:

-Using shift+arrow key to scroll (for example, while in 'look' mode via key 'k' in DF mode) immediately crashes to desktop (CTD).
-trying to flip between windowed and fullscreen creates a bug in which any key i press toggles between the two.  also, no keys work properly (its like i'm hitting 'escape' every time, as i cant select any menu items or anything.  the only things that sorta work are arrow keys, and i still get the full/windowed flipping happening each keypress).

I downloaded that OpenGL Extensions Driver Viewer 3.0 thing, and found my vid card had really old drivers, so I updated them.  Now it says i can render up to oGL 2.1 and the test works, but i still have problems with DF 40d4.

Relevant system specs:
Laptop
AMD Turion64x2
1gig ram
ATI Radeon Xpress (i think its a 9000 but neither the openGL or driver software tells me specifically) 320MB vram, Catalyst 8.561 01-Dec-2008
WinXP SP3

...let me know what else i need to do or how to troubleshoot it.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So um... 40d4 is crashing for me (40d doesnt). Am I doin' it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:59:35 pm »

Relevant information is likely to be found in the thread stickied at the top of the forum.  I haven't been following too closely, but it sounds likely these problems are known, and fixes are on the way.  ETA is unknown, however.

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:02:35 pm »

after 4-5 pages, I wasn't able to continue the remaining 20 pages of discussion to find the info i asked about...

Sorry.

It might be helpful to pin a 'know bug list' that gets edited so that instead of reading 24 pages, only one post needs to be referenced.  Just an idea (I really don't have time to work on it x_x)

Anyway, thank you for the reply, and I look forward to the eventual fix ^^

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 06:41:13 pm »

Last two pages are often enough... you don't really have to start at the beginning.

EDIT: Strike that.
You should always read the first page at least, then skip to the last 3~4.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:50 pm »

Basically all the 40dn where n is a number are beta versions of the new graphics set. Or considering that all of DF is an Alpha I would guess that they are Super Alpha versions. They are highly unstable while the input and graphics code are overhauled.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:31:32 am »

So it turns out that 40d5 seems to work OK so far.

My fps went from 40-50 (partial print off) and ~65 (partial print on) in 40d to around 137 with partial print on in 40d5.  Woo!

This is only a laptop of course, so i'm not gonna see 4 digit framerates, but its still a very nice improvement!

Awesome!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 02:05:25 am »

>.> 4 digit framerates?
THAT IS MADNESS.

I see 2 digit framerates at best. silly 100fps cap =O

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:01:25 am »

I upped the cap to 400 (the fps, not G_fps)

see http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0 on the first page for the "4 digit framerates"

(don't worry, i don't believe them either)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:14:06 pm »

Those were for BC, not DF. :P
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 05:25:45 pm »

:o oohhhhhh.....

(i'm a noob  :( )