Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact Limit?  (Read 1110 times)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Limit?
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

My fortress has not have had any fey moods for the past year. Is there an artifact limit? I only have 15 in my fortress. (0 lost)
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Limit?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

Yes, the artifact limit is currently 15.

Losing an artifact through any means does not change this. Once the 15th artifact is made, all moods stop.

Not sure how it works with reclaim though.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

Awwwww....
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:52:00 am »

I'm usually relieved.  By that point I'm usually sick of fey moods and want to get on with my business of melting my 800,000,000,002 (narrow iron low boot)s to build my massive statue of iron ham.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:14:00 am »

That's odd, becuase although I can't recall how many artifacts I've had I have noticed that although I had ALL of the workshops, including the useless magma kiln, that when some of my dwarves in an old fortress went fey they just stood there. They didn't go and claim a workshop like they were supposed to! Anyone know why?

Mylar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

Awww, man.

I wish I had known this before now...

From this point on all possessed dwarves and anyone claiming a useless workshop type will be starved to death as a matter of principle.

If I'm limited to 15 completed moods, then I'm not going to waste them on non skill granting possessions or useless skills like woodcarving...

Why waste a chance at a legendary weapon or armorsmith or siege engineer?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

Because moods kill. You could just as well lose your Legendary Armorsmith who got his skill by training, not moods.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

Are you actually limited to 15 moods, or 15 artifacts?  If artifacts, then can you get more moods by finding a way to get rid of some of the existing artifacts?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 03:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>Are you actually limited to 15 moods, or 15 artifacts?  If artifacts, then can you get more moods by finding a way to get rid of some of the existing artifacts?

Inquiring minds want to know!</STRONG>

The second post of this thread already answers both questions.  The key is the number of actual artifacts created, not the number of moods; and nothing (short of maybe a reclaim) can reset or lower the counter.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 05:22:00 am »

Yeah, a reclaim does seem to reset the counter. However, as long as the dwarves don't become carpeting, I think the dwarves who have made an artifact will leave the fortress with their artifacts. So only artifacts dropped by dead dwarves will be sitting around in the fortress, but won't count towards artifact counter.

Just for fun I decided to abandon my fort for this (backed it up, heh), and also found that every single one of my animals ended up being a nice fine carpet. None of them even rotted yet... which really, really sucks hardcore. The fortress would be one giant miasma cloud for about two months.
The artifacts dropped by dead dwarves were where I left them, and I did not see any artifact screen when they were reclaimed. However, this still needs a long-term test, to see if artifacts present in a reclaimed fort still count towards the counter despite being invisible to the screen. Worth a try someday.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 12:43:00 am »

I read of memory editing, so could someone make an artifact limit program like ore.exe?
Eh?
Eh!