Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hangup on Autosave  (Read 594 times)

panoptiC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hangup on Autosave
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

Hello there!

I have been having several hangups when the season changes and DF does it's AUTOSAVE. Since I have not found too many complaints about it , I assume it must be a problem with my installation or the OS.
I am running 33d, slightly modified ini (temp and weather off, the usual).
I run XP and had no other serious problems except for this.

Unfortunately, I can not reproduce the error, as it happens only sometimes, say every 3rd season, or so. Next time it'll happen I'll try to catch some debug information, ie. DrWatson.

PS: Awesome game!

R

Udil Nakuthcog now commands "The Golden Rims".

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hangup on Autosave
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

I've noticed that the auto-save will freeze if a saved folder already exists with the name the auto-save is trying to use.  I noticed this thanks to shameless save scumming.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 01:00:00 am »

Make sure that you have enough space on the disk to make the save. Please check that so we can rule that out of the equation.

Also, another bug: if I hit "Continue Game" and it goes to the "choose savefile" screen and I delete region03 from my computer and then try to load it, DF crashes. Well, quite a specific bug... but a bug nonetheless.  :)

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 02:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FFLaguna:
<STRONG>If I delete region03 from my computer and then try to load it, DF crashes</STRONG>

Can't imagine why that might be happening...

panoptiC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FFLaguna:
<STRONG>Make sure that you have enough space on the disk to make the save. Please check that so we can rule that out of the equation.
</STRONG>

There is most certainly enough space, somewhere in the several Gig region.

I actually managed to find something, I deem relevant:
While running DF in the backgound, I was doing my usual thing and thought, what the heck, see what handles are open. I think it might be, at least with my system, that file handles reach a critical point at the time of the autosave and DF hangs up. Not sure why, though.
Maybe other applications are hogging up the handles or something. I also noticed that I had Java running since I was surfing in the meanwhile and it had also a good load of handles open. Maybe it's a problem with that or some other crazy dll that is on my system.

R

Udil Nakuthcog now commands "The Golden Rims".