Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible bug: Hostile squads following dead/captured leader  (Read 469 times)

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible bug: Hostile squads following dead/captured leader
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

I wasn't sure if this was intended, so I figured I'd check here first before wasting Toady/Footkerchief's time with a bug report.

Basically, it is what it says in the title. If the leader of a goblin ambush party is captured or killed, then they will all huddle round his cage/corpse and refuse to try and advance or retreat. They will still respond to dwarfs coming too close, but otherwise they will stay there for up to several months before finally leaving.

If this isn't a bug (which I suspect it may not be) then I suggest that the behaviour is changed so that they will at least try to run away if their leader is killed, and until they are able to free other enemies from cages then they should also flee/continue on if the leader is captured.

I just find it frustrating to be basically stuck in a stalemate with some goblins. I can't attack them because my military is not strong enough, and I can't just ignore them because they are blocking the main entrance. There are weapon traps right next to them, but it will take at least a month in-game for them all to wander into them. Their leader and half their squad have already been thoroughly dismembered to death but the rest of them just seem to be standing around in mourning.

Anyone else had this problem?
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bug: Hostile squads following dead/captured leader
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:05 am »

If the goblins don't have archers, should be able to carve fortifications in nearby walls and snipe them safely.

I Like to have strategic pillboxes set up above ramps for long hallways, accessible through access tunnels to safe areas.
Code: [Select]
▓▓▓
..▓
▓.▓
╔┼══╦══════════════╗
║++☺╬▼++++g≈≈≈≈~²+▲║
║++☺╬▼+++g++++++++▲║
║++☺╬▼+++++g++++++▲║
╚═══╩══════════════╝
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:47:26 am by Foehamster »