Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin spawn inside fortress defenses?  (Read 3316 times)

Fluid.Mind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Goblin spawn inside fortress defenses?
« on: November 19, 2009, 08:53:01 pm »

I had just breached the limit where invaders start arriving (22 Dwarves) and was chugging along just fine working on a mega project to get some decent water flow through the fortress. Suddenly, an Ambush! Only Here's the setup:

Overall (Fortress map, birds-eye)
TT###~ T:Generic Forrest
TT###~ ~:River
LT#=#~ #:Mountain
TT###~ L:Magma Pipe
TT###T =:Main Entrance/Incident location.

Incident Area at time of Ambush:
###########
...O---O...
...| |...
...| |...
...g g |g..
.g.O-ggO..
#####E#####

Where E was the main entrance hallway from the exposed trade depot (flaked off this map by defensive draw bridges). My response was much to the tune of WTF? Since when did Goblins gain the elven stealth ability? They weren't hard to beat back, but I lost 4 dwarves over that whole mess, and I could have lost ZERO if they were playing by the rules by entering the map from the edge, and not teleporting into my base.

Further, the tiles the trade depot occupies count as inside, subterranean.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If you want a move detailed example, point me somewhere I can put the save up for you to look at.

Cheers.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin spawn inside fortress defenses?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:57:54 pm »

It will have been an ambush. Ambushes are stealthy, otherwise they wouldn't be called ambushes.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:51:47 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Ambush

They didn't appear there, they snuck there invisibly and were only noticed/revealed at that point. It's standard. You won't get sieges for a while until your population gets higher, I believe.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:52:15 pm »

If they are stealthy its an ambush, so thats probably your case. But sometimes siegers spawn inside fortress. There was a place inside on of my fortresses that had to be walled, because orc and goblins siege squads spawned in there with every siege.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:01:23 pm »

Diamond: Yeah, that's true with embarks that aren't square (ie. 6x6, 5x5). If the embark is rectangular (say, 4x6), the game will make a square to the nearest edge (with the short end of the rectangle being 4 embark tiles wide, this would make it a 4x4 'inner' square) and create creatures at the edge of that - effectively one embark tile inside the actual map edge, in this example.

This doesn't appear to be the case here, though. This seems to be goblins getting uncovered a wee bit too close to the fort.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:10:52 pm »

If they are stealthy its an ambush, so thats probably your case. But sometimes siegers spawn inside fortress. There was a place inside on of my fortresses that had to be walled, because orc and goblins siege squads spawned in there with every siege.

Sometimes there's a glitch that treats a given region of the space inside your fortress as the edge of the map, so things spawn there even though they're not supposed to. (The Hitch Hiker's Guide joke that is my sig at time of posting came from the thread in question; in case of future changes to said sig, here's the original quote)

I had a fort that suffered from a bug where a certain line across the middle of the map seemed to be treated like a map edge, inasmuch as animals, merchants, and invaders would sometimes spawn on it. Naturally, the line bisected my fort. Every few months there would be a sudden plague of "dwarf cancels everything and freaks out: interrupted by entire herd of wild camels magically appearing in the middle of the fort."
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:15:46 pm »

The glitch that Dorku is talking about occurs when your embark location is not a perfect square. The game apparently treats it as a perfect square anyways, thus the invaders.

My little bro had a fort that was a 3*16 or something silly like that. Boy, was he surprised when a goblin ambush showed up in the middle of his (completely walled off) fortress.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:46:21 pm »

Diamond: Yeah, that's true with embarks that aren't square (ie. 6x6, 5x5). If the embark is rectangular (say, 4x6), the game will make a square to the nearest edge (with the short end of the rectangle being 4 embark tiles wide, this would make it a 4x4 'inner' square) and create creatures at the edge of that - effectively one embark tile inside the actual map edge, in this example.

This doesn't appear to be the case here, though. This seems to be goblins getting uncovered a wee bit too close to the fort.

People keep repeating this "non-square map" factoid, but I've seen it happen on a 7x7 map. Goblins poofing into existence in places they couldn't have gotten to. Heck, I watched a set of perfectly normal migrants appearing out of nowhere in the middle of a forest.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:26:56 am »

:0

'Tis news to me. And rather strange, actually - with the 'smaller square in a rectangle' theory you could at least understand how the game was making a mistake.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:28:42 am »

I had just breached the limit where invaders start arriving (22 Dwarves) and was chugging along just fine working on a mega project to get some decent water flow through the fortress. Suddenly, an Ambush! Only Here's the setup:

Overall (Fortress map, birds-eye)
TT###~ T:Generic Forrest
TT###~ ~:River
LT#=#~ #:Mountain
TT###~ L:Magma Pipe
TT###T =:Main Entrance/Incident location.

Incident Area at time of Ambush:
###########
...O---O...
...| |...
...| |...
...g g |g..
.g.O-ggO..
#####E#####

Where E was the main entrance hallway from the exposed trade depot (flaked off this map by defensive draw bridges). My response was much to the tune of WTF? Since when did Goblins gain the elven stealth ability? They weren't hard to beat back, but I lost 4 dwarves over that whole mess, and I could have lost ZERO if they were playing by the rules by entering the map from the edge, and not teleporting into my base.

Further, the tiles the trade depot occupies count as inside, subterranean.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If you want a move detailed example, point me somewhere I can put the save up for you to look at.

Cheers.

Not a bug bro.

Chain some animals outside and they'll sound the alarm as they're being brutally slaughtered by gobbos.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:16 am »

hey there.
i didnt want to start a new topic, because i found this one while searching for that above mentioned "bug".
goblins spawned in my fortress for no apparant reason, ambush and siege squads alike. till now (the 8th year) there was one troll squad spawned on the same level of my former prisoner cage, and the animal stockpile.
this happened while a siege arrived, another ambush on the same level randomly,
and one squad of goblins spawned while a siege arrived also at my animal stockpile (now at ground/barracks level).
there is simply no way they could have sneaked past my defenses ???.
its kind of odd, but paranoid of that incidents at least my stockpile of animal and prisoners including build cages are now in a sideroom of my barracks.
its just really strange ::)
and jeah its on a normal 4x4 embark map(3biome). v31.12, phoebus gfx kit ; also reported on mantis

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:25:01 am »

This happened on the DF masters-2 competition too. Seigers starting everywhere, very messy.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.