Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road not connecting  (Read 1286 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Road not connecting
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:11:00 am »

Running current version with a few new creatures.  Humans have had [SEIGER] tag removed, which I think restores them as trade partners.  I am trying to build a dirt road, but it does not extend offscreen.  The leftmost bit of road was 2x3.  When it didn't work, I built a 2x5 on top of it.  Still no offscreen connection.  Please advise.

Rylen

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Road not connecting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:14:00 am »

Did you smooth the stones in the road?  I've never built with dirt, so I'm not sure about that part, but a search shows some people think it does.  Is it solid 3 wide all the way to your trade depot?  Is it complete?  Are there trees in the way?  Any of these conditions may screw with the road.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

From my dealings with the humans: (ymmv)

For the human Wagon Caravan to come you need a minimum 3x smoothed road or better/bigger.

Any rock should be detailed to smooth status.
Roads/bridges should be built only with blocks.
All tiles between the map edge and your trade depot must be smoothed or road.

Myself I avoid turning corners with the roads/bridges. The one fort i did try it on the caravan rarely made it in all the way. It was slowed down quite a bit maneuvering the corner.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »

I know roads can be built with "normal" rocks, not blocks.  Metal and glass bars work, too.  The block road looks cooler though.

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>Did you smooth the stones in the road?  I've never built with dirt, so I'm not sure about that part, but a search shows some people think it does.  Is it solid 3 wide all the way to your trade depot?  Is it complete?  Are there trees in the way?  Any of these conditions may screw with the road.</STRONG>

I've built roads sucessfully before.  I can't remember if I've done it w/ dirt before.

The ...] section is offscreen.  I'm getting:

...]XX
...]XXXXX
...]XXXXX
...]XXXXX
...]XX

and I should get at least one .X.]

There is no gap, but the leftmost XX were built as a block.

I have a trade depot inside my fort.  It is not fully connected yet, I've still got some smoothing to go.  I'll try moving the depot outside, by the road and see if that changes anything.

Rylen

[ November 14, 2006: Message edited by: rylen ]

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »

Perhaps if the road is taller than it is wide, it counts as going up, and not left?

Also, I've noticed that you must smooth stones UNDER a bridge as well as bridging the river.  Wierd huh?

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »

Ah, ha!  Now ve know everything.  If you haven't smoothed the way, then the road is not connected.  No connection, no trailing X's.  It checks for a 3-wide connection between your trade depot and leftmost screen edge.

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »

I moved the depot to the existing road.  Now its working perfectly.

Rylen