Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So bridges work for fortress site accesability now?  (Read 439 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
So bridges work for fortress site accesability now?
« on: August 21, 2010, 03:50:05 pm »

What the title says. Some experimenting I did reveal as much.

What I did was: I found a neat site (volcano surrounded by sedimentary layer, moslt flat terrain, sand, etc), but it was a surrounded by mountains and a lake. The civ tab of the embark menu just showed my own dwarf civ being able to acces me, but I wasnt willing to give it up yet. So I made fortress spanning across the lake, and abandoned it right after embark. I then returned to the volcano site and the civ menu actualy showed all civs, the hositle ones with their usual ----------, but the trading ones with 'No Trade'.

So, I embarked there with a giant stack of booze and food and removed the fps cap. Went away for some time, found the game paused from dwarf traders. Unpaused, saw a message of a kobold having nickerd something of the traders. So at least those could reach me too. Some more waiting later an ambush showed up which utterly slaughted my dwarves!

So in conclusion, spanning impassible embark tiles with a fortress lets enemies travel over it whether or not you actualy build anything there.

Not sure about the traders as I got wiped out before I could see any.

So who knows! We might just be able to connect islands now. Ill be making an actual bridge over that lake for the fun of it, and then embark on that volano.

Edit: typos, and it might be that the 'no trade' showed up due to the site being scorching hot. Some bridge building just bled out from rain, grrrr.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: So bridges work for fortress site accesability now?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »

So in conclusion, spanning impassible embark tiles with a fortress lets enemies travel over it whether or not you actualy build anything there

This is actually fairly well known, and was being used in 40d to provide civ access to islands etc.  So nothing new here  ;)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.