Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freezing  (Read 514 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Freezing
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:52:13 am »

Well, winter just ended for my new fortress, and looking around, I see that EVERY SINGLE SHRUB on the map is dead. this is a heavily forested area as well, so a herd of elephants wouldn't have been able to trample the life out of all of them. the logical conclusion is, they froze to death. has anyone else experienced something like this?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:05:13 am »

Only time I've ever seen 100% vegetation death last is in high-evil areas.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:27:41 am »

Yep, vegetation doesn't die after winter.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:33:09 am »

Easy way to tell:  Any of the trees/saplings alive?  If no, you're in a high-evil dead zone.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:22:03 pm »

saplings make it through fine, its just shrubs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:13:59 pm »

I've noticed this too. I think it occurs when shrubs are of a species that does not survive in a certain season, and thus dies when the season changes. In deon's genesis mods' botany section, the vast majority of tropical plants don't grow in the winter, (even though they would logically exist year-round in their natural habitat, which also goes for the underground plants) so that could be the problem if you're using it. I've been contemplating changing this so my maps don't constantly overflow with the dead to the point that nothing can grow. It's not really 100%, it's more like 95%

Vegetation currently isn't directly affected by temperature unless it's on fire, so they don't actually 'freeze to death', it's just that the season changes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.