Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sneaky Suicidal Cats...  (Read 814 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Sneaky Suicidal Cats...
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »

So I set up a training room for my military full of wooden spear traps because quite frankly I was tired of having my ass handed to me by goblin amushers. Anyways, I thought myself pretty smart; I'd read that inevitably all the pets of the people training in said room would die when they follow them in, so being the smartypants I was, I thought, "I'll just make the door not pet passable!"

But somehow animals keep getting in!

I'm guessing they quickly sneak in when someone opens the door - and, of course, once it is closed, they can't get out. I have to admit, every time I read, "The stray kitten (tame) has been impaled on spikes." I am fairly amused, but by the same token, I would like to somehow prevent the carnage - if only because the miasma in the room is starting to get out of hand.

Does anyone know of a good way to prevent pet access to an area that actually works?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaky Suicidal Cats...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:54:30 pm »

To stop pets from being trapped, I generally set up a door, a hall, and then a second door, both impassable by pets.  Usually they get stuck in the hallway and then someone can let them out.  Unfortunately it's not foolproof.
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaky Suicidal Cats...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:19:28 pm »

Something like this should be foolproof, I think (haven't tested it, though):

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXX
X     A
X     X XX
X     X X
X     X X
X     B X
XXXXXXXXX

Here A is a pet- and dwarf-impassable door and B is just a pet-impassable one. Pets should constantly bounce against door A while their master is in the room, as the path there is shorter. Then when their master exits the room through door B, they will just continue to follow him around the fortress.
Maybe you have to tweak the corridor shapes a bit, depends on how far back the animals are following, and how often they update their master's position...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!