Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves randomly heavily bleeding  (Read 888 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves randomly heavily bleeding
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:30:11 pm »

This seems to happen any time i use Magma as a defensive weapon. Why is that?

Last time was less surprising because i had started fires all over the embark area and never could get them under control or keep track of them, however this time the few areas that could have burnt had long since done so, and the magma was all gone. My legendary mechanic took about 10 steps across some burnt ground and promptly bled to death for no apparent cause. :/

Edit: There's not even a corpse or clothes anymore, does it really stay *that* hot even after the magma is gone and all the fires are out?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:32:37 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves randomly heavily bleeding
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:34:57 pm »

Apparently, yes, it is that hot outside. Are you in a scorching biome? That's the only logical explanation.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:38:15 pm »

We're actually in a cold biome, all the dwarves are in heavy looking coats(in mayday's graphics thing) and the brook is frozen most of the year.

Edit: Nevermind, you must be right about it being that hot even if it's a cold biome, an unfortunate goblin ambush just set this thing off again and the ashes are randomly catching on fire even after the magma is mostly gone
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:04:46 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:01:34 pm »

Magma can leave residual heat, which can boil subcutaneous fat and result in bleeding deaths.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:48:56 pm »

all the dwarves are in heavy looking coats(in mayday's graphics thing)

The graphics in no way reflect what the dwarves are actually wearing...  You could have a completely naked dwarf and it would look the same as a guy in masterwork adamantine full plate.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:59:03 pm »

Also dwarf clothing protects against heat by absorbing it before it harms the dwarf. So in reality a dwarf that's going into extreme heat should be packed in as much clothing as passble. And indeed it's very hard to know how hot certain areas are.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.