Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McWorker has become a Skilled Planter  (Read 1424 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McWorker has become a Skilled Planter
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:10:33 pm »

Every so often one of my dwarves generates what looks like a level-up message. But it only mentions the field of work.

Suggestion: Have the level-up message detail the dwarf''s new skill level.

Instead of saying "Urist McStony has become a mason" have it say "Urist McStony has become an Adequate/Skilled/Proficient Mason"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McWorker has become a Skilled Planter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:28:04 pm »

For the record, these professions only describe whatever the dwarf's highest skill (or suite of skills if they have relatively equal ranks in multiple skills of the same type) is.  Quite a bit of this job-changing comes either from low-skilled peasant immigrants who have finally gotten enough skill ranks to gain a title in whatever they've been working at, or else from a known psuedo-bug caused by the military interface where deactivated or reactivated military dwarves change from military jobs to civilian jobs.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:54 am »

Which brings up a little suggestion of my own, I would like a little warning when one of my workers hit Legendary in a skill.

Luewen82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:35:25 am »

I dont get any level up messages at all. Somewhere to toggle them on or?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:40:23 am »

They arnt level up messages, they simply let you know when a worker has changed what skill he is best in. For example, a fishery worker has high-master fishing, then he gets legendary miner, it will give you a message stating he is now a miner.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:27:43 pm »

These events even show up in legends mode. You will occasionally get an engraving or decorating involving the career change of a dwarf, though engravers tend to have this sort of art at a low priority. They prefer engraving images of cheese.

Luewen82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:41 am »

They arnt level up messages, they simply let you know when a worker has changed what skill he is best in. For example, a fishery worker has high-master fishing, then he gets legendary miner, it will give you a message stating he is now a miner.

Ahhh. Those i get on announcements. But what about messages that show that certain dorf has increased in certain skill messages i saw in some screenshots?
Have they been removed from the game or something?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:26:40 pm »

I think they were dropped when 2010 came out. I missed them, some people might say they spammed, though.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 01:03:26 pm »

Game used to have level-up messages:

"Urist has become more experienced."

They were linked to gaining agility/toughness/strength stats and are now gone as stats changed.

Which brings up a little suggestion of my own, I would like a little warning when one of my workers hit Legendary in a skill.

Frankly, i would love this, and i was actually visting this forum to suggest it.