Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Robber Barons: Amorality Simulator [Year 1:Quarter 1]  (Read 1611 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
The Robber Barons: Amorality Simulator [Year 1:Quarter 1]
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:29 pm »

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Setting (click to show/hide)

Non-Player Organizations:
Spoiler: Governments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Businesses (click to show/hide)

Player Organizations:
Spoiler: Body Baggers(Hugehead) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oil-4-U(tehstefan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aero-Space(Ochita) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Synapticom(Armok) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: WorldDevCorp(Humaan) (click to show/hide)

Alright. I would have preferred to start you guys off with some basic businesses set up, but I have to be somewhere in an hour and I still need to get ready, so instead you get to buy your own stuff. If you want to buy stuff that isn't on the list, either post in the thread or PM me, and I'll see about it when I get back. Hopefully there is enough capital to get everybody started.

Capital:

Research Laboratory: $750,000
Chemical Plant: $600,000
Extraction Facility(i.e. Oil Well, but also Mines, Lumbermills, etc.): $500,000
Factory: $500,000
Shipping Yard: $250,000
Broadcast Tower: $200,000
Farm: $150,000
Warehouse: $100,000
-----
Specialized: Additional $100,000

Most things up there are used in production of one sort or another. Each building has expendatures as well; Basic buildings cost $10,000 each quarter in maintenance, $10,000 each quarter for labor, and $10,000 each quarter for raw materials. Some buildings use less or more; a warehouse for example, doesn't require labor or materials, but still needs maintenance, while a chemical plant requires specialized labor, maintenance and materials, making it cost twice as much each quarter as a standard factory. Of course, the goods it produces are worth more as well.

Specializing a building costs $100,000 and increases how useful it is. A specialized factory for example will produce more goods, while a specialized warehouse may be refrigerated to store perishables like meat of chemicals. In addition to the $100,000 specialization fee, specializing may make a building require specialized maintenance or labor, which costs $20,000 per quarter instead of $10,000. Depending on your business, it may or may not be worth it to specialize your buildings. Chemical Plants and Broadcast Towers are already specialized.

Research Labs are expensive both in investment and in maintenance; they require specialized maintenance which costs $20,000 and in addition, very advanced labor which costs $30,000, bringing the total quarterly cost to $50,000. They do not produce any goods to be sold, but instead produce technology, which may be sold or used to upgrade your other buildings.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: The Robber Barons: Amorality Simulator [Year 1:Quarter 1]
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »

Reserved, because I'm sure I will need it.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:10:35 pm »

Another Reserved

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 02:58:24 pm »

Ok, a few questions:
-  what is the rage, on the world map, of broadcast towards? Also what about frequency bandwidth?
- for that mater, what is the scale of the worldmap, kilometres per pixel and what's the population and GDP of the different states?
- How much is the money worth in buying power. it says dollars, but the value of one has varied a lot historically.
- it looks like there'll be no tracking of cities in this?
- more exacting detail on the tech level would be nice.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »

Ok, a few questions:
-  what is the rage, on the world map, of broadcast towards? Also what about frequency bandwidth?
- for that mater, what is the scale of the worldmap, kilometres per pixel and what's the population and GDP of the different states?
- How much is the money worth in buying power. it says dollars, but the value of one has varied a lot historically.
- it looks like there'll be no tracking of cities in this?
- more exacting detail on the tech level would be nice.
Check the discussion thread for answers.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 01:20:53 pm »

Alright guys, I think I screwed up really bad. I had intended for this to be a quick, fun and nearly effortless little game, and before the first turn has even started it has devolved into a cesspool of number crunching and confusion. I've gotten 4 PMs for the first turn out of 9 total players, presumably because everyone else is way too confused to actually put a turn together because most of the conversation going back and fourth between my players and I is asking for clarification on the rules. I was working on updating the first turn for tehstefan's corporation since he was the first person to send me what he wanted to buy, and twice I had to go back and double-check my math because something wasn't right. If my brain was a supercomputer I might be able to pull this off, but I can't. Quite simply, I fucked up. I don't see how I could possibly turn this game from what it currently is to what I intended it be, and I am willing to admit were I have failed. Game over, guys. I'm sorry, I should have done better.