Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you do when you find Adamantium?  (Read 2816 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do when you find Adamantium?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »

The first time I found it was when a Minotaur dodged into a volcano in his new gear and hit bottom. So it's kind of inaccessible right now.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:33:52 pm »

PERSONALLY, I DIG DOWN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND GO 300.

But anyway yeah, safety, organisation, etc etc. Listen to the safety loving people.

If you feel up to it though, you could try to fight for lots and lots of fun. I usually make it so I can cause an apocalypse should my fortress fall to invaders, just to give them a nice present for destroying all my work.

"Oh, you want my fort I spent days making do you? Sure, let me dig this adamantine out for you, b*#?&!@s"  :P
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 09:26:16 pm »

When mining the adamantine, you are actually probably safe as long as you don't go into the magma sea-levels of the adamantine.  (I don't think you can breach until you are at least a couple levels into the magma sea.)  So long as you aren't getting cancellations because of warm stone, you should be fine.
NOT TRUE, you are never safe  :'(
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 10:14:56 pm »

I usually wait until I get a group of ten legendary warriors with many kills (maybe a megabeast or two if I can swing it) then I wall them in with a single miner and have him breach the HFS, if any survive, then they get a full suit of the blue metal along with any artifacts I have, if not, well good show then.
Nom nom nom

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:03 pm »

I actually haven't hit the fun blue stuff yet - most of my forts end up dying due to accidental floods, thirst + tantrum spiral, or my PC deciding to shut itself down for no reason.

....Hmmm....?

Never mind that, I just embarked on a volcano island. Unpaused after looking around the embark, and see a bunch of collapses, and "Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!" Hooray for magma sea.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:38 pm »

Before 2010?  Make the o_0 face; ignore it.  (Had one fort that breached the blue shiny 2 zs below the surface; that one died after the king showed up and went berserk due to the place being little more than a burrow in dirt.  You'd be surprised how much damage an enraged king can do.)

Now?  Nothing.  My forts tend to go horribly wrong before I even reach it.

Nice to know that unskilled miners don't destroy it, though.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »

I just play it safe and skim off the top layer.  I really don't need any more than that.  I tend to make either axes or serrated discs out of it.  I think armor is a bit of a waste as adamantine is most notable for it's edged properties.  Actually in one fort I tipped the top of a pyramid with it.  Now THAT'S luxury!

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 02:02:08 am »

I go Meh. and ignore it.

Addy? We don't need no stinkin' addy!
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.
Pages: 1 [2]