Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peace  (Read 598 times)

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Peace
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

Is there anyway to achieve peace with a civilisation that as declare war on you?
Other than mascaring there every  attacking force.

I've only see two civilistions on my map.
dwarves (who've only sent one trade caravan, ever)
and humans.

The humans appear to have declared was on me.
I've had two seiges so far.
There humanite is just bronze (which if it wasn't for the fact that all my coke has gone into producing steel armor/weopons for my militairy), would be melted down into arrow heads, barrels and chains.
I don't mind the odd bit of humanite, and selling their cloths off would be nice, (though DorfBucks are no problem, with my craft dwarves)
Unfortuantly I have no one to sell too.
my fortress is more or lessself sustaining, only things i can't prduce internally are gypsum plaster and glass, and I have a small stock pile of both laid up.

Still I wouldn't mind peace with the humans...

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: Peace
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:54:37 pm »

As far as the legends are concerned, I believe they just send a Liaison to your fort/tower/magmaseazone/tower/elftreetown/town saying "Why did we mess with the Magma lords anyway? We offer peace." and If he makes it to your mayor/king/Dimplomatperson is it accepted. (That is my wild guess)
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »

If you massacre them a few times they'll get sick of it and offer peace.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:08:37 pm »

If they're at war with you, they won't send any diplomats and there is no way to contact them to offer peace.  So yeah, just slaughter them absolutely horribly, like by trapping them and magma flooding the entry hall, making sure that not even one enemy soldier gets to escape.

When you rack up two or three years of "seiges" where their entire side is slaughtered, and none of your dwarves are even scratched, then they'll figure it's a total waste of effort to attack you...  I've even had goblins give up on seiging me for a couple years.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:16:23 pm »

But this only works with Humans, right? You can't make peace with Goblins or Elves, can you?

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »

Dunno about elves but I'm fairly sure that if you massacre the goblins hard enough and long enough they might let up for a while.  A long while.  But never actually peace though.

damned typos.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:31:46 pm »

Yeah, if you seriously devastate, they'll basically announce a truce with you unilaterally.  You can only really learn about this from Legends Mode, though.  I only convinced the Goblins to stop attacking me for three years after eating about 200 of their soldiers, but since, as snatchers, they are hardcoded to attack, they just sent ambushes instead for a while.

Elves and humans will probably eventually start trading with you again after they declare a truce, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42:44 pm »

But is the truce actually official or do humans/elves/goblins just send caravans or ambushes at random and you just have to wait and bet about what's coming next year?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:36 pm »

Pretty much just wait and see if they stop sending seiges, and send diplomats instead.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 12:04:03 am »

There is some sort of treaty signing mechanic, just kill enough of them and they will get sick of it and send a diplomat to ask to be friends.  I don't think goblins will make peace, although if you kill their leaders it makes them attack less, at least for a while. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...