Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I got a few questions, help!  (Read 715 times)

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
I got a few questions, help!
« on: August 19, 2010, 04:27:18 pm »

QUESTION #1
Anyone figured out how to use a non-specific corpse as a reagent? (I'm working on a Castlevania-inspired mod, and it has a couple buildings for doing various useful stuff with corpses). Here's what I've tried:

CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE -- this makes people just pick up any item that happens to be around and use that.

CORPSE:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE -- same as above.

CORPSE:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:NO_MATGLOSS -- this gets totally ignored, and no reagent is used at all.

None of these throw any errors, but they still don't work right. Anyone know where I went wrong?

Deon, I've noticed that you have reactions for cremating body parts in your Genesis mod. I thought maybe there might be a similar solution to this problem. You put [REACTION_CLASS:CREMATION] and [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CREMATION_MAT], but I can't find what these are referencing. In which raws did you apply these?

QUESTION #2
Some of the reactions and buildings I'm gonna be adding (and thus need to test) are high-tier things -- stuff that you don't really have the resources to do until a year or so into the game.

So, correct me if I'm wrong: I don't have to generate a new world unless I *ADD* a building or reaction (or creature or entity etc.), yes? So I can *edit* existing ones in the save's raws, and have those changes take effect in the saved game, right?

Ok, if so, what about placeholders? Can I make raw entries that are pretty much empty so that I can fill them in later once I get to it, without having to generate a new world and start my fortress from scratch?

QUESTION #3
So, I've figured out that inorganic syndromes only work if the stuff is used for a material breath attack, or if it explosively boils. So, I'm wondering a few things.

I think I read somewhere that subterranean tiles have a different temperature than outdoor tiles. What about tiles that are just "inside" but aren't subterranean? What if they're also "bright," does that have any impact?

I've observed that if you build a bridge over a outdoor tile, that tile becomes "inside" but remains "bright." What I'm wondering is if I can make a trap, with an area under a bridge stockpiled with stuff that will explosively boil once it's "outside" but is stable "inside," with a strategically-placed pressure plate linked to the bridge, such that the bridge will retract and the area will become "outside," thus setting off the hazardous materials. Is this feasible? Or does the fact that it's bright mess up the temperature I'd need? What boiling point needs to be used?

QUESTION #4
What's the default SPEED value? I want to make one caste faster, another slower, and one normal, but I don't know what the appropriate numbers are.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: I got a few questions, help!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »

1 and 3 I can't help you with. Although, I love that you just assume Deon will make his way in here.

As for four, though, SPEED:900 is the default. That's what your vanilla dwarves move at (just for reference.) Lower is faster.
And, for two:
WHEN TO GENERATE A NEW WORLD
This question is asked tons. The safest motto to follow is, if you don't know if it needs a regen, just regen.

A new world is needed to be generated when you add any new entries. Like new creatures, entities, items, reactions, etc. I have yet to run into an instance where I can add a new entry and not need to generate a new world.

You can edit existing information, to an extent. With the release of the "DF2010" version, any generated worlds must be edited in the save folder.
Dwarf Fortress->Data->Save->region1->raw->graphics or object

As far as I know, you can edit/change graphics at any time. Please keep in mind, some may not work or might have issues, ask around and people will more than likely help you with any problems.
As new version of Dwarf Fortress come out, I try to make sure that all my information is still working, if something isn't working, I'll help you out with it.
(From Shaostoul's guide)

Edit: After checking the wiki about that temperature thing, I guess it isn't really understood. Whatever you find out, add to the page! (Or, just lemme know, and I'll do it.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:36:55 pm by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »

1 - I'm not sure.

2 - To an extent, you've got it right. No adding, only editing. I don't think you can edit in a creature, or at least it won't show up. I don't know for sure, I haven't done that. Items, reactions, buildings, are pretty much entirely editable.

3 - Underground temperature is 10015. Any place that is no subterranean is going to be different. Putting a roof over it will cool it, but I do not believe it will be a constant like the way underground is.

4 - existent has that one.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:41:01 pm »

A way to start a thread by asking Deon, heh? :D How did you know I show here first?

1) There's no CORPSE item type I am aware of, but if you add [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] then it will pick anything related to a dead creature.  REMAINS can mark a dead vermin, but I think there's no "big" body token exposed.

CREMATION_MAT is added in material_template_default.txt as [REACTION_CLASS:CREMATION_MAT] to those materials which are not edible and are not used in other crafting jobs to get rid of them.

2) You can edit reactions any way you want, but DO NOT change their ID names (the ones after "REACTION:"). Those are used as "links" and are "compiled" when you make a world, so the game will give you errors if you change them.

3) The underground tiles are always at the same temperature, while outdoor tiles change the temperature based on the season and weather. "Light" tiles are outdoor tiles. If you need tiles with stable temperature, just dig a small cave and make a passage through it. Then you can either run magma under it, warming the tiles, or fling the bins with material with a bridge. It doesn't work well though.

4) Default raw speed is 900 (displayed speed 1000):
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Speed

P.S. Ninjad while typed... But with incomplete answers, so it doesn't count :D.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »

P.S. Ninjad while typed... But with incomplete answers, so it doesn't count :D.
I post whatever I know off the top of my head, and then go back and edit in whatever I dig up later.

A way to start a thread by asking Deon, heh? :D How did you know I show here first?
You on the modding forum, and NW on the suggestion forum, are like clockwork.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 09:29:06 am »

Alright, thanks guys! This helps a lot.

The corpse reaction in question was intended to prompt a strategic choice between using a given corpse for food or for a resource, rather than to dispose of useless body parts. I guess there's not really going to be a way around the lack of a corpse item token to grab a whole corpse, but I can still get the same strategic effect using meat and bones and things, so I'll just do it that way.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.