Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What a perfect place to... Wait, no metals?  (Read 4367 times)

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What a perfect place to... Wait, no metals?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 09:33:30 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking "bronze" the moment he mentioned tin. I don't have any tin. I've never even seen cassiterite in an embark yet... :(

But yeah, the goblin "caravans" are sure to yield up copper and iron.

I wonder if this is actually a bug of some kind?

(Hey, another, very similar thread over here...)

What version did you use to gen the world?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:42:51 pm by Eugenitor »

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 11:22:36 pm »

What layer stones do you have? Surely there must be something to work with there. If you can find granite, you can find cassiterite and make some bronze. If not... it might just be goblinite for you then.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:01 am »

Also look for malachite (a copper ore found in limestone and marble).

Cassiterite isn't hugely abundant, but it goes a long way when combined with copper ore to make bronze.  Search the granite layers for it until your dwarves have worn their picks to nubs.

If all else fails, you may need to dig deep for some of the lovely blue metal.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 01:18:21 am »

My latest fortress only has cassiterite, sphalerite, galena, garnierite and a very tiny amount of tetrahedrite.  I was able to combine the tetrahedrite and cassiterite to make bronze for weapon traps.  The rest of the ores only give me nickel, zinc, lead and sometimes silver.  Most of my furniture, bins and barrels are all made from zinc and my crafts are all made from silver.  The front gates are made of lead.  It's interesting how a fortress's style can turn out when you have to make due.

Yeah, I was thinking "bronze" the moment he mentioned tin. I don't have any tin. I've never even seen cassiterite in an embark yet... :(

Cassiterite only shows up in granite.  For my latest fortress I made sure to get an area that had several layers of it.  Unfortunately I didn't get very much else.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 01:31:26 am »

Make silver Warhammers and force every soldier to use one. They kick ass.

Also I would never make crafts out of metal, it's too precious for that. Stone is everywhere, make stone crafts.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 01:55:26 am »

Make silver Warhammers and force every soldier to use one. They kick ass.

Also I would never make crafts out of metal, it's too precious for that. Stone is everywhere, make stone crafts.

Why not?  Things like iron, steel and bronze I can understand saving for weapons and armor but most metals are only good for furniture and crafts.  Hell, a couple of bins of high quality electrum crafts are enough to satisfy my trade requirements for years.  Often I'll get all of a caravan's wood and booze and several bins of leather and cloth all for a single earring.

Also, trading 1 platinum toy for 6+ platinum bars = win.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:58:20 am by Lemunde »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 02:10:07 am »

[...] many wierd names stones that i will never use... [...]

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Ore

Absolutely none of these?  It took me a while to realize stuff like limonite could be smelted into iron...
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 02:11:10 am »

Yeah I always embark with a metal crafter now and just churn out a couple of bins of metal crafts to clear out the first caravan.  One gold or iron goblet is 100 dwarf bucks, going up to 3600 for a masterwork.

You could make wooden/bone./silver crossbows and use silver bolts as well, my bone bolts seem to hurt goblins so I assume silver ones will work as well...

Thrombo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 02:45:53 am »

Shame you aren't in a biome with undead. Silver hammers are awesome imo. :)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 03:11:05 am »

In addition to importing metal ores and collecting goblinite, you can request and buy all kinds of weapons, toys, crafts, armor and trap components from the caravan, then melt them all down to get bars.  Sure they're ridiculously expensive, but you're sitting on a giant silver mine so that shouldn't be a problem.  This is what I'm doing to get steel on a fluxless map.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: 1 [2]