Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to build with green glass.  (Read 1824 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unable to build with green glass.
« on: September 12, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

I've tried building green glass windows as well as stills with green glass blocks (because it'd look so damn cool), but whatever I try, I keep getting the same result; A dwarf arrives on the site with the green glass material and then cancels the job because of "item blocking site". The only item on the site is the green glass window/block, so I guess it counts as an obstruction for some reason.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to build with green glass.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

never had that happen to me.  but you cant build windows with blocks.  you have to create the window specifically at the glass furnace, then it sits in your furniture pile.

i've certainly built workshops out of glass blocks before.  try building it at a different location?

edit: i did have a problem once, after a reclaim.  i had this plump helmet spawn sitting in my main hallway, and it couldnt be removed.  it blocked all kinds of construction, and was generally a big annoyance.  never figgured out how to get rid of it.

[ September 12, 2007: Message edited by: puke ]

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

I've managed to get one workshop up now, as well as some windows and a bridge. But it's very much hit and miss. I can't make out any factors at the moment that govern whether it succeeds or not.

The problems seem to extend to other areas too. I have a weapons trap that, after disappearing mysteriously, seems impossible to rebuild.

It's the same symptoms there as with the green glass constructions - no matter how clear the area, no matter how undisturbed, and no matter what materials (in the right category) selected, it cannot be build because the site is "blocked".

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

It is possible the green glass block you want to use is inaccessible. as for the other bugs... have you been ctrl-alt-del quitting much?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ctrlfrk:
<STRONG>It is possible the green glass block you want to use is inaccessible. as for the other bugs... have you been ctrl-alt-del quitting much?</STRONG>

No and no. As for inaccessible materials, doesn't that have it's own error message?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

a stone or other item is sitting at the construction site, tasked.
a tasked item cannot be moved, except by the dwarf that tasked it.

wait until that item is removed before building the still... also, remove all stone and general furniture stockpiles, to cut down on these job-blocking item-haul tasks.

[ September 12, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 02:58:00 am »

I've already written that there are no items blocking the site. The floor is perfectly void of objects except the one glass block or the one glass window that the builder has brought there to build with.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:43:00 am »

quote:

edit: i did have a problem once, after a reclaim.  i had this plump helmet spawn sitting in my main hallway, and it couldnt be removed.  it blocked all kinds of construction, and was generally a big annoyance.  never figgured out how to get rid of it.

I would have tried building a food stockpile under it, and then setting another empty food stockpile to take items from that one. Don't know if it would have worked, but it would have been worth a shot.  :)

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

I know this is an old thread, but I have been having this problem too.  I have tried to build doors but I get the "item blocking site" message.  When I check, it seems the door itself is the only item blocking it.  If I cancel the build ([q] then
  • ), the door magically moves to a random adjacent tile and can then be used, but when I try to build the door again, I get the same problem.
    It doesn't happen all the time, just with some doors on some spots.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

I thought it was an after effect of migrating versions, but when building things out of ice I sometimes got that warning. These blocks would also be ignored completely by the dwarves, except for that damned blocking. The only thing that solved it was destroying the blocks somehow.
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

If there's a save with a building dead zone of this kind, it would probably be useful for me to look at it.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to figure anything out after the fact though.  It probably still has the item flag on the square, or something, though if you save and load is there anything in the error log about extra item occupancy?  It's supposed to clean up those bad spots on its own.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!